In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullheads

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
That's what we call'em, but the real name is sculpin, any of you guys use them for bait ?
We put them on jigs when fishing for macks (mackinaw lake trout), but big browns,cuttthroats, and rainbows will take them also
we got 26 yesterday to use at the derby this weekend

To get them we go out and carefully roll over rocks and then spear'em with a sharpened dinner fork taped to a cut off broom handle, you know real high tech equipment. How do you get them ?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to me, a bullhead is a yellow belly catfish.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew from working with Okies and Arkies that they called those cats "Bullheads" because when we would mention fishing with them they would say "Hell ain't no goldarn bullhead catfish going to live in this godforsaken cold country and cold water,
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...what shoff said, yellow cats that taste like lake mud pies, yuck!...[xx(]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...what shoff said, yellow cats that taste like lake mud pies, yuck!...[xx(]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif

Ewww. You actually ate one?[xx(]
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...a bite, as in one bite...when I was a little kid...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What we call bullheads are the ones with the shocking whiskers, buggers to take off yer hook or clean, they taste fine, just have to nail them to a tree to clean them.
  • Options
    crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PUHLEASE! Horned mudpout are fine eating if you get them before the water warms up. There are restaurants and fire departments around here that advertise bullhead dinners in the spring and you should get there early if you want to eat! As a kid we'd head to the river around dinner and stay until we ran out of worms or they quit biting. They have a market value around here, and many anglers sell their catch if they have extra. We used to fill (2} 5 gallon buckets a night when Hector was a pup.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used to eat Bull heads when I was a kid, but I cook up a couple of them a while back and they were terrible. From now on, I'm leaving them for the racoons or whatever varmint wants them. I need some more cold weather so I can do some ice fishing!
  • Options
    lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well here in Minnesota the black bullhead is in the catfish
    family but rarely gets over a pound in weight -- they have three spines that can stick you -- two on the side and on the dorsal
    fin --
    You have to eat them fresh ?_" DO NOT FREEZE or they get skunky ---
    As will all bottom feeding fish ---
    Two pair of pliers --- one in the mouth -- cut around the neck --
    strip off the skin -- chop head -- remove all fins and tail-- leave in backbone -- dip in whipped eggs -- roll in cracker crumbs -- fry in butter -- just like eating corn on the cob ---
    Try it next time you catch some ---
    Lee
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We ate the Bulls that came from Reelfoot....key is to flush em out.

Either put them in a bucket of fresh water or live well, and change the water every 1/2hr for a few hours. They will clean themselves out.

You can also put them in a basket or stringer that will not reach the bottom.

Those bulls we ate tasted no different than the channels caught in the same place. Very tasty.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.