In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I fish from a Kayak, What about you??

shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
I have a 12 foot Perception kayak that I fish from on two lakes and two rivers near my home. I also have a 14 foot Old Towne guide canoe that I use when my son wants to go with me. I've found that fishing from a very small boat makes catching anything over a pound very fun.

What type of boats or gear do you guys use??

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing at the moment, but in the next week I should have a personal pontoon. I decided on the pontoon over a float tube and kayak. I will be posting pictures when it gets here and i get it all set up. Check back in a few days. I think its supposed to be here tomorrow or Thursday.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I've got a 9ft Old Town Otter that I don't use much anymore but it can get into some really good places. About 9 years ago I bought a 15ft Old Town Guide canoe that I still use a lot and just bought a 17ft Alumacraft bass boat. Been looking at the tubes and personal pontoons but decided I've probably got too much now.
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    9' LL Bean Manatee. Added a rod holder and cup holder, wear a fishing vest full of lures and long noses pliers. Snook season opened Feb 1 and I have'nt caught one in the slot yet.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fish from shore
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12'9" Cranberry Creek Canoe. Square Stern model so I throw my little trolling motor on the back on it really scoots along the small lakes and rivers in my area. Heck of a lot of fun to fish from or just go exploring with.

Jon
  • glockguy28glockguy28 Member Posts: 3
    edited November -1
    i fish almost exlusively now from my kayak. i have a 11ft ocean kayak. i find it to be the best platform to fish from.
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19 foot deep hull aluminum Sylvan 140 hp I.O. ---
    I want some comfort and not have to get down on
    My knees to land a fish ?_"
    Lots of room for beer coolers ?_" good stereo sound for
    Tunes and a nice swivel seat ---
    Put up the top if it rains ?_" that?_Ts my kind of fishing

Lee
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20ft Gambler with a 225 I wish I had the bucks to get a new one but boats are way out of sight. The cost of fishing in general has got way out of line. I know that tournament fishing is taking a beating. I remember back in the 70s I caught more fish and won more money fishing out of a 15ft with a 50 hp than I have ever caught with the newer boats. I often have thought about this I think I covered the water better and did not run around as much. I know that it can't be that I an 20 years older and don't fish as hard as I use to.
  • KcKc Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mainly use an old Perception Prism SOT with a rudder and an ono custom paddle.
    Great boat great paddle.
    Wish I had a tank well though. I tie my stuff to the hatches.
    Mainly fish salt in Galveston.
    My favorite way to fish,exccept for wadeing during Flounder season
  • steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to get a video of you catching a 1,000lb Marlin from that kayak. That'd be a hoot and probably a free trip from Hawaii to Australia
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I don't use a boat at all - occasionally bank fish on a local river, most of my fishing is small ponds tucked away in the woods, retention ponds, etc. Don't knock it until you've tried it - targeting smaller fish with ultra light tackle is great. And I've pulled quite a few ~10lb bass out of a pond that is only about 3 acres - the record for that pond is 14lbs... Also, wiht the retention pond fishing, I can go fishing for 30-45 minutes on my lunch break. :)
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    I don't use a boat at all - occasionally bank fish on a local river, most of my fishing is small ponds tucked away in the woods, retention ponds, etc. Don't knock it until you've tried it - targeting smaller fish with ultra light tackle is great. And I've pulled quite a few ~10lb bass out of a pond that is only about 3 acres - the record for that pond is 14lbs... Also, wiht the retention pond fishing, I can go fishing for 30-45 minutes on my lunch break. :)
    Who would ever make fun of 10 lb bass. You better keep that place a secret. I have fished many days here in the midwest and only caught one over 8. Small lakes mean big fish if managed properly and total catch and release is not the answer.
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have friends that take me in their 30+ footers and we have a nice day and catch some nice fish. I get home and tell my wife "Had a nice day. Here's some fish. But you know I really enjoy fishing from my 9' kayak. It's so up close and personal."
    I say that because I have hooked a nice Tarpon in the dark that jumped in my yak on top of me and out again. Thank God it left the plug in my upper arm on the way out, because if he had kept half the plug I would have been over and attached to a thrashing Tarpon. Fishing the shallows in Estero Bay I unknowingly rode up the back of a 6' Sting Ray
    that lifted me/yak out of the water twice before swimming off. Hooked another ray in the Indian river that took me for a sleigh ride
    before I cut it loose. Been taken for a ride with things I never saw, what a kick. Also have brought home some nice Snook, Trout, Redfish
    and have a wonderfull relaxing time. I'm not giving up my Kayak but I'm laid up now from shoulder surgery and it will be a couple more months before I can get it on top of the SUV.
    Kayaking is a very inexpensive way to get a lot enjoyment!
    I think!