In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fish finder info needed

mh1gsmh1gs Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Just got my first boat and everything is ready except no fish finder. Looked in magazines and too many to choose from. What is the most user friendly and reliable locator for $350 or less?

Comments

• Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to see you joined us boat owners!

I have had many fish locators and to me the simpler the better!! Unless you need something "special" in a locator, look at some of the Eagle models. Many of them are under $200.

Good luck with the selections.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have the best success with Lowrance. That being said, they take some time to learn to run. It is not difficult, but lots of options, and things to adjust. Once set up they are very simple and positive to read. These are not a "bargain" brand. Normally some of the most expensive, but you get what you pay for if you ask me.
  • Options
    kiawahmankiawahman Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow the oldest guy on the lake. Keep your distance, use bino's or a cheap garage sale telescope to see what he's using for bait. Next day get there before he does.

Use the money saved to buy a little something for your wife should you get home late, ("Just one more. Last one. Okay, one more then I'm leaving...").

I started doing that 40 years ago, never did have any need for a fish finder. Nowadays I'm one of the older guys on the lake - and still catching fish.

"90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen."