In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

panfish on the beds.

quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
edited July 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
is it strange that panfish like bluegill and sunfish(red ear) are already makeing nests and sPwaning in kentucky? I caught a bunch(about 20) of them in certian places near nesting sites two weeks ago. do they spawn according to water temp. or what?

Comments

• hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, water temp is critical to any fish spawning.
    Took the kid canoe fishing yesterday morning.....he skunked me with the 'ol worm and bobber! He caught several GOOD bream and pumpkinseeds, while I was catching nothing on my buzz baits and other topwater lures. Bass sure had lock-jaw. Too hot already!
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    thanks, they are biting like crazy by all acounts here. worms, 17 year cicadia nymphs, and crickets dont last long after the cast.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last couple days I've caught about 40 blue gills and sunfish. Gotta start eating some today! Most are in the freezer for another day.

I noticed one larger fish (I think it was a sunfish) just staying right close to the shore under a branch and it was chasing away over smaller fish. It never left that spot for at least an hour. I tried to get him to go for my bait ... he nibbled a few times, but no dice. What makes a fish do that?
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a half a dozen cheap nymph flies ... because it seems like the bigger fish were feeding more on the surface.
  • dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three of us caught over 90 bluegille Sunday in Kentucky .
    edited November -1
    I stopped again yesterday and tried out some nymph flies ... I caught the first fish (a big sunfish) when I was still getting my bobber placed where I wanted it and the nymph was hanging on the water!
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I caught 26 panfish and 6 catfish and bass from the bank yesterday. All on free grasshoppers I caught on the lakes banks. You should have seen the bucket I had to carry about two miles, it was chalk full of restless fish! I had about a half dozen gigged frogs on my belt in a burlap sac too plus a cane gig and pole plus fishing pole and pistol and mags.. the water snakes were out pretty thick too. I also saw an uncounted amount of lake lizzards. Not too mention both musk rats and beaver. ducks, cranes and larg blue egritts were also in abundance.