In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1972 9.5hp Johnson PROBLEM

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
The problem I have is when the motor is under load it does not run good at all. The strange thing is when the motor is ran in a barrel it runs great. The carb has been rebuilt along with the fuel pump. points have been set and compression is fine. any ideas on what the problem might be would be highly appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    By "not running good" what do you mean?
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Crack in the head gasket. When running at idle it'll be fine. Under load, the crack opens and compression loss.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the fuel filter in the bowl new? They are better replaced than cleaned.(At least when I wore out my '57 model.)
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could also be a carb needle or gasket. That is what my old Merc did.
  • Options
    OutboarderOutboarder Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think thats a good point. also, in case you dont know where to buy a new motor, try this shop www.mcmarine.net. really good parts and very fast. if you cant find what you need contact them, they are really friendly people. www.mcmarine.net

cheers, bob
  • Options
    catman50pluscatman50plus Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 things to consider.... The carb must be adjusted for idle, while the motor is IN gear, not neutral. The other would be since gasoline is abrasive, and you did not say if it was at idle or high speed, the high speed orifice may be worn, and if that is the case, the motor will not transition from idle to high speed....