In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pics from Grandpa's tackle box

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
100_1004.jpg

100_1006.jpg

I received this as a birthday gift from my Dad. It came from my grandfather's tackle box. I was really happy to receive this and several others from Gramp's tackle box. Over Christmas, my Dad and I are going to go through my Great Grandfather's tackle box.

I love family history

Comments

• Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really nice to see those here. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Unfortunately, I did not have a grandfather or greatgrandfather that fished, but I do have some items that came to me from a brother of my grandmother.

PS I do collect older fishing tackle and my special interest is the C A Clark baits made here in Missouri. Their models include the popular Water Scout, Little Eddie, Goofy Gus, Streamliner, Duckbill, Duckling, Jointed Duckbill, Popper Scout and the hard to find--Dwarf Demon! Got any?? I am always a strong buyer!

I would be glad to help anyone identify their old lures.
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several of those old timers also. I have them hanging in several displays around the B & B. Anytime I think about or see old lures I have a flash back and all I can do is stop and smile. I use to fish with an older gentleman, his name was Mr. Collins. He had an Old Pal tackle box just stuffed with the neatest fishing lures I have ever seen. We use to fish about once a week for several years before his passing. He was the perfect partner. He was always talking about fishing. One day I asked him to go but I told him I wanted to leave early as I wanted to be on the water at first light. This usually meant a 3:30 or 4am alarm. I remember the first time I took him I wasn't too sure about how the day was going to work out as he was in his upper 80s at the time. However I could not tell the man no. At that time I was fishing bass tournaments and would fish like a maniac all day long. I really had the feeling that Mr.Collins would not be up to the challange. BOY WAS I WRONG. I got up about 3am to get ready to leave as I always got up early to check out the boat conections before leaving. It seemed that I would usually have to fix the blasted trailer tail light that decided that it would quit working sometime during the night. Imagine my suprise when I opened up the jeep door only to find Mr. Collins sitting in the passenger seat smoking his little cigar. After the inital shock I asked him "how did you get over here?" He told me he had walked. Iwas only a few blocks away. I told him that we needed to go by and get his tackle and we would be on our way. He told me it was already in the boat under the tarp as he had already carried it over. He probably had to made several trips.
    It really did not make much difference what lake we went to. He had fished it most of the time with a guide and he remembered the hotspots. When we would fish he would tie on one of those oldies and I would cringe. I cannot tell you how many times I tried to talk him into using one of the new better lures only to have him tell me how many fish he caught on the old ones. His fishing line on his old reels was always shot, his rods as wippie as a buggie whip, but man could he fish. He would tell me about fishing Lake Ozarks, Bull Shoals, Norfork and T-Bend when they were new impondments. That is when fishing was fishing. We fished many times during the next 5 or so years and I will have to say he never complained. One of the last trips we shared was early spring. We had a cold rain all day long and the fishing was great. I had told him several times to tell me when he was ready to go. I finally looked at the back of the boat and there he was hunkered down in his rain poncho, his little cigar fired up, shivering. I felt terrible. I said it is time to go he told me "Edward, not often does a man catch fish like this and I say we are staying. We will leave when the fish quit biting."
    I wish everyone would have a chance to fish with a partner as good as that. Oh by the way I did not get the tackle when he passed. I got the memories instead. That is way better and I treasure them more.