In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

your strangest fishing story...

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I gotta hear your fish/non-fish stories while out fishing...including losing the big one as everyone just as everyone rounded the corner and saw 'nothing.

Anyhow, I was fishing this really good hole just downstream of Markleeville, Ca on the Markleeville creek one fine late August day. I decided to wear orange because bow season just opened up and even though I was only a few hundred yards from town one never know who was willing to attempt to nail a deer that close to town. Sure enough right as I get to the best hole this forky comes barreling off the bank...SPLOOSH~!...right into the best hole on that stretch. and disappears into the underbrush 50 yds off to my right. good thing I wore orange I thought...somebody was hunting too close to town. Then I hear this kicking where the deer went and I thought maybe someone did nail him with an arrow. I go over and he's laying there. I grab his antler and he goes into the death throws. I looked him over and saw no sign of an arrow. What the Heck! I thought. Then I saw what happened. He had caught his right antler on a barbwire fence he didn't see and broke his neck. There was a nick in his antler(the velvet was just starting to rub off) and a bunch of velvet on the wire. I got up to the General Store to tell someone and ran into a couple guys headed home that day with tags. They ran down and got him and cleaned him out and took him home.

...What really irritated me was I got this huge bite just as he cleared the bank...needless to say I lost that fish and didn't get another bite until I next fished that stretch a few days later.

Comments

• DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    I gotta hear your fish/non-fish stories while out fishing...including losing the big one as everyone just as everyone rounded the corner and saw 'nothing.

Anyhow, I was fishing this really good hole just downstream of Markleeville, Ca on the Markleeville creek one fine late August day. I decided to wear orange because bow season just opened up and even though I was only a few hundred yards from town one never know who was willing to attempt to nail a deer that close to town. Sure enough right as I get to the best hole this forky comes barreling off the bank...SPLOOSH~!...right into the best hole on that stretch. and disappears into the underbrush 50 yds off to my right. good thing I wore orange I thought...somebody was hunting too close to town. Then I hear this kicking where the deer went and I thought maybe someone did nail him with an arrow. I go over and he's laying there. I grab his antler and he goes into the death throws. I looked him over and saw no sign of an arrow. What the Heck! I thought. Then I saw what happened. He had caught his right antler on a barbwire fence he didn't see and broke his neck. There was a nick in his antler(the velvet was just starting to rub off) and a bunch of velvet on the wire. I got up to the General Store to tell someone and ran into a couple guys headed home that day with tags. They ran down and got him and cleaned him out and took him home.

...What really irritated me was I got this huge bite just as he cleared the bank...needless to say I lost that fish and didn't get another bite until I next fished that stretch a few days later.
    cool story![8D]
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Cool idea...here is my contribution.

I took my soon to be wife out for her 1st fly fishing experience, must have been 1997. We were fishing a section of Clear Creek just off I-70 here in Colorado. We were fishing a big, deep, clear hole where you can see he fish sitting in the bottom. I can't hook a thing but sure enough the newbie hooks up. As she is playing this fish in it becomes obvious that she has foul hooked this poor trout. After a long fight I end up with this 12" rainbow in my hands and I couldn't believe what I saw. This fish had a hook sticking out his *! My wife's nymph had hooked onto this protruding hook. As I'm watching in horror this fish flips out of my hand and into the water. What is left in my hand is the nymph, a size 14 hook snelled hook with a 6 inch leader and a large swivel. Most of which had spent the summer working its way through this little trout.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Man, I'll have to think about this one a few days [8D]
    Ive had a LOT of strange, odd, scary, funny things happen while fishing...thinking, thinking...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    While walleye fishing I lost my jig when I set the hook on a stump. [xx(]Must have had a nick in the line cause the line broke just past the reel. Went back two days later and could feel something on. Reeled my jig back along with all the line that I had lost.
  • moooniemooonie Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not your average fishing story...not about the big one getting away.

My youngest son was 13yr old at the time. I'm his mom btw.
    We're down in Texas as I've always wanted to see a real rodeo.
    That was a real eye opener and a culture shocker <grin>.

We're off visiting some old family friends down there and we find ourselves on a pontoon with a lovely mixed group.

We're fishing away...the ladies are all cluck cluck clucking when one of the guys says,"let go get us some catfish"
    So off we go to the area of the lake thats been salted with trees probably old cars what have you..
    One of the guys passes around the cat fish bait and the jar comes to my kid.
    He'd only fished up north here for walleye, northern, sunnies and crappies.
    He was watching the guys bait their hooks with the bait, he was puzzled.
    Anyway, the jar comes to him, he takes a whiff and proclaimes...
    Whose * did this fall out of?
    I about died on the spot.
    The guys are all laughing so hard at the kid..giving him little punches in the shoulder..laughing and laughing..I really expected one of them to offer him a beer.
    The ladies just puckered up their lips a little and gave me a "hmmmm look"
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mooonie
    Not your average fishing story...not about the big one getting away.

My youngest son was 13yr old at the time. I'm his mom btw.
    We're down in Texas as I've always wanted to see a real rodeo.
    That was a real eye opener and a culture shocker <grin>.

We're off visiting some old family friends down there and we find ourselves on a pontoon with a lovely mixed group.

We're fishing away...the ladies are all cluck cluck clucking when one of the guys says,"let go get us some catfish"
    So off we go to the area of the lake thats been salted with trees probably old cars what have you..
    One of the guys passes around the cat fish bait and the jar comes to my kid.
    He'd only fished up north here for walleye, northern, sunnies and crappies.
    He was watching the guys bait their hooks with the bait, he was puzzled.
    Anyway, the jar comes to him, he takes a whiff and proclaimes...
    Whose * did this fall out of?
    I about died on the spot.
    The guys are all laughing so hard at the kid..giving him little punches in the shoulder..laughing and laughing..I really expected one of them to offer him a beer.
    The ladies just puckered up their lips a little and gave me a "hmmmm look"

LOL
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago I was fishing along the Rock River in Illinois. The area was fairly crowded. The walleyes and northerns were hitting well and most of the people there had a few on the stringer.

I had been catching small walleyes and tossing them back. I changed lures from a small jig to a Rapala. First cast and wham, big hit and the thing starts striping line.

The three people fishing close to me all start in on it being a big Walleye. After fighing it for almost five minutes, I finally got a real quick look at in and all I can see is silver. An old duffer next to me says I saw it, it's at least a 10 lb walleye.

So most of the people around me stop fishing and stand around and watch. Every time I got it close to the bank it would take a slow deep run of 5-10 yards of line. I was fishing with 6 lb test and an medium light Ugly Stick so I could not horse it in.

Finally after another 10 minutes I got it up near the shore. The old duffer next to me came over with the net, there were 6-7 guys all watching and encouraging me...

The guy with the net takes a stab at it in the water and lifts it out and exclaims...............

Oh crap it a lousy carp....

We were all deflated and had a good laugh.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior, Great story!!LOL

Here's mine
    Used to go canoeing a lot down the Fox river. Had a lot of bass jumping by the canoe most of the time. It must be something about the paddle swirling in the water.
    Anyway I was canoeing with a friend one fine afternoon for a 9 mile trip. We weren't fishing just having some cold ones like usual. We were paddling past an island where two guys were fishing. So I asked "catch anything yet" no they replied. Just then a 10" large mouth bass jumped up in front of me 2'-3' out of the water(I was in the back of the canoe)it scared the ship out of me and I almost dumped the canoe as it LANDED IN THE CANOE!!![:0] The guys on the island fishing said holy ship did that fish just land in your canoe? I said hell yea I don't believe it. So I scooped some water into the canoe and kept it alive till I got home.
    When I got home I put it in my 55 gallons aquarium with my 7" pirana and the pirana ate it's stomac out over night killing it. I didn't think that would happen because it was bigger than the pirana.
    True Story no kidding here......[:0]
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well believe this or not but my friend and i were fishing out of his boat at deer creek lake here in ohio one 4th of july weekend. we had several fish on a stringer it was the steel kind with the big hooks on it ..no the boat didnt have a live well anyway i noticed we had lost the stringer it came undone from the boat we fished probably 5-6 hrs more and was heading back to the dock i was just messing around and was kind of trolling behind the boat and get this i snagged the same stringer we had lost and we were at least 100 yards from were i last seen the stringer on our boat oh well thats my fish story
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all,

pretty interesting stories. Hunter Mag, I heard a naother story about piranhas and bass when I worked down in Iowa. A friend of mine, told me he knew two guys that always got into competitions, when he was going to school down there. Anyhow, the one guy was typically known for having a pit bull or something mean. He gets this piranha. Talk, talk talk about how mean it is. so the other guy catches and keeps this bass. He feeds it minnows and what not, and it does the typical bass thing and grows.
    Come time to graduate they put the two of them in together. The next morning ...no piranha. The bass ate it. Which if you consider it is possible since it grew and piranha didn't. I imagine your bass might have been worn out from the trip home. I have to qualify all this by saying it isn't my story, it's a guy that worked with me. But, he said after that the largemouth bass was his champion ever after.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't usually hang out in the fishing forum a lot for whatever reason, but in reading some of these stories that may have to change. LOL. Anyways, I have a small one to contribute.

When I was younger(around 6 or 7) I use to go fishing with my Grandpa quite often. He always was making jokes to me that if I was behaving for him I would catch anything, but fish. His favorite thing to tell me was that I would catch an old "boot fish". You probably all ready know how the story goes, but I will finish for my own sake of laughing. One day we went fishing down by our local park and my Grandpa was yelling at me for not listening to something he had said. No sooner then he had started yelling, I had a fish on(or so I thought.) As I was reeling it in with my little snoopy fishing pole, my Grandpa burst out laughing. I had caught me a size 12 Rubber boot and according to my Grandpa, he has never seen me so angry.
    edited November -1
    jon0332,

I really would have laughed if your grandpa had caught the boot...LOL good story.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Well, I have thought for awhile, and my head hurts now.

Damn, been fishing so long.
    Maybe the strange "V" wake may be it, still don't know what it was.

Ranch Lake (of course) I was standing on the dock, strecthing my legs after being in the boat all morning. It's about 1pm, sunny, springtime. A friend of mine was about a 100yds down from me, on the bank, hitting a row of stumps out about 30' from him.

He yelled, did not understand him, and he pointed out in front of him. I looked his way, and saw, a V wake about 20' out from the bank, headed my way, FAST.
    The wake was about 4-5" high, rolling, at the point of the V.
    The "wake" spread out to each side of the point probably 12-15'.
    I wacthed this headed toward me, and I have NEVER seen a fish move this fast, I got "chicken bumps" watching it. My mind was computing as fast as it could "WTH"?
    The "V" wake covered about 75 yds., in maybe 3-4 seconds (fast) then about 20-25yds. from me, headed to the bank, and just, "dissappeared" at the bank in about 2' of water.
    BIG channel cat in the lake(10+ pounds at LEAST),BIG bass(13pounds at LEAST).
    I have no idea what it was. There are beaver in the lake, shot some the buggers. And I know hardly nothing about beavers, cept they screw up the banks w/tunnels underneath, and cut down the trees, maybe they swim 40-50mph?
    A rare snake or two, but this was no snake, period.
    Whatever it was, I am glad it was friendly...and did not want to eat me...[:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Once I was swimming, and had a blugill attack my nipple so ferociously it bled. I screamed like a little girl, and all my friends still make fun of me.

the end.

Ben
    edited November -1
    fishermanben,

I think for that story everyone here will too! LOL
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Years ago I brought in a 10"
    or so brookie that was passing
    a snelled hook. Only thing
    left was the shank and the mono