In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bait Caster

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
edited November 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
We were out walleye fishing the other night. Saw a school of minnows so I grabbed my new to me bait caster. After 8 or so casts, I decided that the mag was set to high. I was wrong. Got it unbirdnested tonight. Just can't understand how it can get to where it is and what you need to do to get the line right. Just seems there should be no possible way for it to tangle the way it does.

Comments

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH-yeah![:D] Been there too many times[:(!] I got a couple nice {baitcasters} I keep in the boat for drift-fishing and trolling only. Push the button, let the line out then click it. No casting those things for me. Seen some guys that are accurate as hell with lure placement with them. I'll never be one...[8]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I never liked baitcasters for anything other than over the side perch fishing or drift fishing/trolling for that reason. A spinning reel or even a zebco for me. But for the reasons above they can't be beat, they are great reels. I've brought in some hog walleye on an old open face with steel rod just for the nostalgia, and some big ones using more modern push button baitcasters too.

What type of reel is it?
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    It is a Shimano Crestfire. I won it on a very generous auction on the GD side. I'm just still trying to get used to it.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It took me 5 years to get decent with bait casters. Pretty much all I use now. Get a chepo one and practice with it for a while. Turn the spool tensioner clock wise until the lure barely falls on free spool, and practice ,practice, practice.
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    The reason it dose that is because the spool spins faster than the line. So if you do not stop the spool with your thumb, it will keep spining while the line has stoped.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have my grandfathers old reel. I won't use the old reel, I could never catch anything but birdsnests myself, but my gf had a pretty steady thumb and could put the bait just where he wanted.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief Shaway,

I had a lot of birdsnests when I started with mine. Fortunately, I have a friend where I used to work who told me the secret to these.

1. Use a heavy enough lure for the reel. Too often guys will try to cast hard with a 1/2-1/4 oz. lure and that's too light....usually. The smaller Garcia's can do it but you have to throttle back on the cast.
    2. Set the cast drag (remember there is cast and reel drag...two different things.) with each lure change. To do that you put the rod horizontally and tighten up the cast drag. loosen it in small increments until with a slight shake of the rod, the lure drops about 12"-18".
    3. Remember when you cast that the pull rotates the spool. If you lose pull the spool will continue to rotate a bit with the momentum. So, when you cast far with a lure watch it lose momentum and just barely ride the spool with your thumb.

You can get birdsnests from under or over tightening the cast drag. That's why step 2 is probably about the best way to set it. But, that's pretty much what fishmasty already said.

hope that helps, -good luck
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Chief Shaway,

I had a lot of birdsnests when I started with mine. Fortunately, I have a friend where I used to work who told me the secret to these.

1. Use a heavy enough lure for the reel. Too often guys will try to cast hard with a 1/2-1/4 oz. lure and that's too light....usually. The smaller Garcia's can do it but you have to throttle back on the cast.
    2. Set the cast drag (remember there is cast and reel drag...two different things.) with each lure change. To do that you put the rod horizontally and tighten up the cast drag. loosen it in small increments until with a slight shake of the rod, the lure drops about 12"-18".
    3. Remember when you cast that the pull rotates the spool. If you lose pull the spool will continue to rotate a bit with the momentum. So, when you cast far with a lure watch it lose momentum and just barely ride the spool with your thumb.

You can get birdsnests from under or over tightening the cast drag. That's why step 2 is probably about the best way to set it. But, that's pretty much what fishmasty already said.

hope that helps, -good luck

Thanks for the advice.
    I had it set correctly but being a guy thought I could get it to cast a little further if I messed with it. [:D]
    I know better now.
  • Ranger ManRanger Man Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good advice above. Just practice practice practice...I have 7 Shimano baitcasters and I can easily throw a 1/4 oz. lure between 40-50 feet. Big 5/8 oz. spinnerbaits---50-60 feet. So dont worry about lure weight, you will just learn to ride the spool VERY LIGHTLY with your thumb.

Get out in the yard and tie a weight on and you will learn. You cant beat a baitcaster for power, accuracy, and in any sitiuation...flippin', pitchin' it doesnt matter.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The thumb must be schooled! No matter the price/fancyness of the reel, a "DUMB-THUMB" will bird nest it all up!!