In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Swimbaits

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
Lets talk swimbaits. Anyone use them?

Comments

• elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I'll bite![;)]

The only swimbait I have used is the swimming senko. Very few places have bass abound here (West slop Colorado), but i have had pretty good luck with the small senkos with the local small mouths.

Have you seen the Burkley Gulp Alive swim baits? VERY expensive! Any idea if they are worth trying. I've thought about trying them for brown trout.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic

Have you seen the Burkley Gulp Alive swim baits? VERY expensive! Any idea if they are worth trying. I've thought about trying them for brown trout.

I couldn't tell you. Your mention of them is the first I have heard of them.

They are not as expensive as these

http://www.316lurecompany.com/baits/hardbaits.html

I am just getting into it. At 10-40 dollars a pop for lures its not cheap to get into but the rewards look amazing!

This is a lure that I will be getting

http://www.spro.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=109&osCsid=07839ef4f27e27612a795245c444e9c7

and this one too

http://www.huddlestondeluxe.com/homepage.html

The 8" one. I might get the 4" to try out. I have a knock of of them of the 4" already. I will probably get a 8" trout and 6" shad. Pricey though, but should be worth it.

I already got a new rod and reel for these big swimbaits. 7'6" heavy action for stuff above 1.5oz. Then I have a 7 foot MH action for stuff under 1.5 oz. When I do something I go all out, lol. If I combine these techniques to what I am used to doing I should be catching lots of bass out here. Now if I could just convince my wife to buy a boat...
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I've used the Panther Martins and the Storm Wildeyze on the Ohio fishing for Stripers but haven't had any luck yet.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    Storm Wildeyze

When I was in Ohio, I used storm bass and baby bass swimmers for saugeye and walleye. They worked sometimes at certain locations. The problem I had with them is that there really wasn't any lakes that I fished at that where deep enough in the spots I fished. Your really had to bring those storms in fast in order to achieve anything but a snag on the bottom. For walleye and saugeye I think thats fine, they are aggressive fast fish. Stripers and big bass are not aggressive fish, they are slow and lazy. I will be using them out here in Cali though, probably the 5" and 3" models. Here the lakes are 50-200 feet deep. I will use them specially for trolling and drifting. I can't afford to lose 20 and 30 dollar lures at the bottom of a lake.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several swimbaits and have never used them much. Here in the midwest they are not the hot ticket as they are out west. Of course part of the reason is that we do not have as many large bass as they seem to have. I am sure that there are some fisherman that use them here and knock the tar out of them but not me.

Many years ago I attended a bass institute in Indiana and Mr.Bill Dance said that lures are meant to catch fisherman as much as if not more than fish. Confidence is the best lure in your tackle box. If you truely believe something will catch bass then it will. I believe that there are many things that will make you catch bass none more than believing that the next cast will produce a fish. Yes I am the guy that has had thousands of dollars in fishing lures and every color that you could ever imagine. Way more than ever sees the water. Less now as some person that I would like to wish will suffer a very long painful death thought they needed them more than I. This scum of the earth broke into my boat and stole them along with a dozen rods and reels. I fish a lot and take many fisherman and I am amazed how many like the lures more than they like to fish. I have this one gentleman that I take that he changes lures constantly. I know that he spends more time changing baits than keeping one wet. He spreads all of these lures all over the back deck and it takes him about 10 minutes to put them up when it is time to move. The funny thing is that I usually never stay in one spot more than that. About the time he gets his stuff out I have already fished the area and ready to move on and then he goes and does it again. He just knows that the next one he ties on when he makes the cast will result in the fish of a life time. One that will make the lake go down 6 inches when he pulls it out of the water. I do tell lots of guys to keep it simple keep your lure selection to a minimun but learn to fish them properly. When I leave the dock I have severl rods out all loaded with somthing diffrent and usually never change a bait until I break off. I do check my line often and retie often.

Sorry shoff14 I got of the subject I will get off my soap box. I just looked out the window and the weather looks good enough to go but the temp is around 25. Years ago I would of gone out and beat the water to death but the older I get the wiser I get. I want it to be at least 30. Boy I hope it warms up a little I want to go bad today. The next few days I won't get a chance.

Oh on the getting the wife to ok the boat buy. Have you tried the laying on the floor kicking and screaming thing yet? I did it works on lots of things but in the grocery store it can get a little out of hand a little.

To all have a great Christmas and the rest of the Holiday season.

May your cast be accurate and the fish be biting.

Ed
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swimbaits plus Clear Lake = Big Bass
    WOW just watched the Bassmasters this morning. Oh my god those guys really sacked them up.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lucky Craft Sammy is the way to go. They tear em up. Nothing like top water action.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    The Lucky Craft Sammy is the way to go. They tear em up. Nothing like top water action.

Most of the opinions I have seen about the Sammy have been less then spectacular. Seems to be due to the fact that everyone is different and some just flop on their side and don't work correctly. So much so that most places that sell swimbates don't sell them any more. Now the new "Real" swimbaits look really good, but haven't heard much about how they work yet. The "Real" baits use fish skin to create the outer part of the fish so you can see the scales, they just paint whatever they want over it.

Since I forgot about this thread, I forgot about it. I have done a lot of research since then. Heres a breakdown of what people on the net think are good swimbaits.

Huddleston deluxe, its an 8" bait comes in 5 different sink rates. They stand correctly like a fish when not moving, level and everything. Expensive as though, $40.00, but they seem to be a constant big bass catcher. A guy I work with brought one in to work one day, and the insides of the bait are completely different then any bait I have ever seen. It has internal bladders that will take on water, hence different sink rates. The bait itself isn't really weights in the front its spread out through the whole fish. They just recently came out with a 6" model and some 4" shad. I have bought thess models, but there is a current waiting list for the 6" baits so hopefully in the next month I am able to try them out. The 8" models weigh in 5oz and the 6" is 3oz or so.
    http://www.huddlestondeluxe.com/homepage.html

Another one that people seem to like and is a big fish producer is the SPRZ BBZ-1. It comes in floating, slow sinking, or fast sinking with shad or trout colors. I bought a shad slow sinking, and will probably get a floater before too long.

I bought a couple imitation Huddlston's and they are nothing in comparison to the real deal.

All these should be neat to fish with!
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy has one that he used for an entire day. One lure. Caught 37 Largemouth. The thing was destroyed.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    My buddy has one that he used for an entire day. One lure. Caught 37 Largemouth. The thing was destroyed.

I believe they catch fish, but it seems that due to the mass production of these things that that 2 are never the same and poor quality. Your buddy got one of the good ones.

Have you seen the new lucky craft ones yet? They look sweet!