In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Baitcasters

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
What is a good baitcaster for freshwater for around 100 bucks??? I was looking at an okuma cd871cx for left handers but don't know anything about baitcasters.Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appriciated.Thank you, Oak

Comments

• westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a couple Bass pro Shops Extreme baitcasters and by far are the best I have ever used. I paid $70 bucks for mine but they range in price from about 30 to 230 bucks. I use one for pitching and flipping and the other for crankbaits both are heavy duty and perform without any problems. If you want to read more on them here's a link to the one's I bought, it'll tell you everything you would like to know about them. Make sure you match whichever reel you get with the right rod and you'll be set.http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103926_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    One of the best rods I have used (and it's my current rod) is the Shakespeare Ugly Stik. I have the 7' spincast model. You won't find a better rod, for the price.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check out ebay. Left handed reels are not plentiful over there, but they don't sell as well as right handers. Look at the Shimano Citca, they retail for 119.99. I bought mine last year when Shimano had a rebate going on. Bought it in a combo at Bass Pro for 129.99 with 30 dollar rebate from Shimano. Its a fantastic reel. I also have a few Pinnacles that are nice, but I don't think they have any left handed reels. I also use left handed reels, for the most part.

If you want, you can get an Abu Garcia 5501 for around 40 bucks on ebay. Yes, its not a low profile baitcaster, but its a decent reel in comparision to some. It might not be beginner friendly though.

You will want to look for something that has adjustable brakes, this will help you tremendously when your learning. Some cheaper reels do not have this ability or its very limited.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a bunch of diffrent ones I really don't think that you can beat a Garcia 4600. The biggest thing with a baitcaster is learn to throw it right. I think tht some of the biggest issues that beginners have is not knowing how to adjust them properly. Some of the biggest sins with a baitcaster is trying to throw to light of a lure, throwing into the wind and using the wrong line size.
    Adjust the reel by holding the rod out push the button and the reel spool should stop revolving the same time the lure hits the ground. Tighten or loosen the spool knob to control the speed. In the begining you might want to then give it just a little more in the begining and then a little less as you skill improve.
    Shoff14 mentioned something with brakes I am sure that he is speaking about magnetic brakes that are located on the opposite side of the reel of the crank.Some people swear by them and some people continuely are adjusting them. I have never have been a big fan of these because I learned before they came out. If nothing else remember this. You will get backlashes but keep trying and you will learn it.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last I looked Abu Garcia's weren't $100 bucks for what I consider as good as what's out there.

As liv2Fish said the trick is getting them adjusted right for each and every lure you stick on there. They also tend to like heavier lures. But, the 3600 and 4600 both can toss light lures if you don't try to cast them 50 or more feet.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Last I looked Abu Garcia's weren't $100 bucks for what I consider as good as what's out there.

As liv2Fish said the trick is getting them adjusted right for each and every lure you stick on there. They also tend to like heavier lures. But, the 3600 and 4600 both can toss light lures if you don't try to cast them 50 or more feet.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow, i really learned alot from you guys. I will take all of your knowlage and put it to good work. Thank you too all who responded. oak
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie,

I don't know if you have Ganders out there in NJ but they have a sale going on right now on their 5503 C3 series, $69.95 (rebate). Bigger than the 4600 by a ways but still useful on lakes and big rivers. They also do well if you want to go out on the ocean. Meaning they'll take a little salt water too. Just wash them when you're done.

Edit:

Don't know how it got posted but the last line is about salt water