In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

question for cold weather boaters

likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
When docking your boats at night and the temperature is falling below 32*, do you leave your outboard in the water or tip it up? My fishing buddies and I have gone around and around on this and can't come up with a solution. If the motor stays in the water so the water pump doesn't freeze what about the water already in the head. If you tip it up to drain it what about the water in the impeller volutes.

I'm new to the fishing hole but hang out on the gun and archery forums. I told my fishing buddies you guys would have the answer

Comments

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best bet call mfg. costomer service. Use to duck hunt alot in freezing weather. Tipped motor up just enough to clear intake off water and cranked it over for 7 or 8 seconds to clear water from system. Never dropped it back into water till next a.m. No problems but maybe we were just lucky!
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't know for sure, but the water should be warmer than the air. My guess would be to raise it, turn it over to get the water out of it, then put it back down in the water. My 2 cents.