In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The one that got away

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited November 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
So what are your all time 'gee I wish I had landed that one' stories?

I have 2. I don't know what was on the line either time.

1- about 10 years ago I was fishing for walleye on Lake Erie. 12 pound test, worm harnass made of 20 lb test. Something bit. It fought like a walleye- long slow pull on hooking, then not much fight. I slowly dragged on that thing for 20 minutes- and only had about 100 feet of line out, and could barely make any headway. Then snap. Whatever it was had chewed through the 20 lb leader. Either a huge Walleye- probably 10-12 pounds- or a small muskie are my only guesses.

2- just this weekend, also for walleye- something hit my mayfly rig, and started pulling off line. I had the drag set for about 6 pounds, so fairly stiff already. 10 lb line. I tightened it a bit and started fighting. The pole was bent in half and this was a stiff 7 foot rod. Increasing the drag killed me. Snap. Whatever it was it was big. I've hooked into 30 inch sheephead (freshwater drum) and 36 inch catfish already and this felt bigger, whatever it was. It did NOT fight like a walleye- fighting like hell the instant I hooked it. Gotta figure a huge sheephead, or again, maybe a muskie. Or huge cat. Might have been a good sized smallmouth too, it was in fairly shallow water and a 2 foot smallmouth fights like hell.

And, just for kicks- a 3rd entry. Not a huge fish but 'just because'- perch fishing, 2 hooks- got a double header. One perch I got in. The other fish got off at the boat. The other fish was a small steelhead, around 12" Just would have been cool because it's odd to catch a steelhead perch fishing.

Comments

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Fishing 20 lb test near a channel in FLA. Whatever hit, just hit and kept going. Pulled me down to bare spool in 20 seconds or so and I grabbed the rod as it went down the beach. Set the drag and reeled in as much stretch as there was in the line.

Five or so seconds later, I had a lot of slack, but only about 50yds of line.

Not a clue what it was, but I told my brother in law it was a submarine (since it was his rod that was singing while he went back to the car). He thought that was as good a guess as any.[:D]
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best big fish on small line was a 75" sturgoen on 8lb mono! Took over an hour to get to the boat, but well worth the work!
    Sturgoen1-1.jpg
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    My best big fish on small line was a 75" sturgoen on 8lb mono! Took over an hour to get to the boat, but well worth the work!
    Sturgoen1-1.jpg

cool, Snake or Columbia?
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither... Rainy River on the Canadian border with MN.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither... Rainy River on the Canadian border with MN.

Really, didn't know they had Sturgeon back there. Always thought they were unique to the Snake and the Columbia here in the states. Learn something everyday, but how big do they get? We have had some really big ones (400lbs) caught here in Idaho on the Snake in years past.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    We have them in Ohio too but they are pretty rare. Lots in the Niagara river though.
  • Options
    Wizard07Wizard07 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    50#plus Lingcod spear bounced off its head!!!!
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if it was a "Fish Story" but I heard Stergeon will continue to grow larger every year of their lives!
  • Options
    Knife CraziedKnife Crazied Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sturgoen1-1.jpg

Beautiful
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Too many to even name.Mostly bottom fishing off Palm Beach.Havn't missed too many since going to a 300# hand-line rig with 60-80# leader and circle hooks.[;)]