In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Threw my @!#*! $800 Shimano Japanese Stella in the

woodguruwoodguru Member Posts: 2,850
edited February 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Fishing from my guide style 2 seater inflatable pontoon boat with my wife I cast my $800 reel, screw the rod right into the water. What a pisser. This is a Japanese version 14 bearing as opposed to US Stella with 12. The only thing that made me feel somewhat better was that I paid $380 on Ebay from a Japanese distributor in Japan. The arm of the lake we were in is a canyon with straight up rock cliffs, using a depth finder it is 90 to 130 feet deep just 10 to 20 feet from the shore, it's straight down.<br>
<br>
As we watched my pole go down through the crystal clear water neither of us said a word. I was trying to nicely formulate why it was my wife's fault in a diplomatic and joking manner of course. She said "well I'm waiting", I asked "waiting for what?", she said "to hear why it was my fault". I am wise enough to abort the issue of blaming her, it didn't seem like the right moment. I started laughing my * off which started her laughing just as hard. She asked me what was so funny besides laughing to keep from crying, I really started laughing and told her that I was just getting ready to tell her why it was her fault when she said she was waiting to hear why it was her fault and decided it wasn't the right time. We laughed hard all the way back to the spot we launched at. A guy asked what was so funny and I told him I just threw an $800 reel into the water, he looked at us like we were completely insane and said, "that's funny, damn"?<br>
<br>
Here's why it was her fault. The boat has a short guide seat that I always use and a taller front seat that she uses facing front. We switched for reasons that are a whole different story and I went to cast to a spot right where she cast without looking at where I was looking at (see?) I was forced to change to a weird cast mid swing which made me bump my leg with the super sensitive bail ($800 reel) which closed it at the beginning of the cast of a heavy Panther Martin, and it was taken right out of my hands. The rod hit three feet out, went down about two feet where was going to grab it when it started to float butt up like the bouyancy was enough to float the butt up. That was when it reached the point where it was point down and it slid right straight down. The water was so clear it gave a 30 foot view. If that wasn't somewhere around 60% her fault I'm delusional.<br>
<br>
All I can say is that that's a good place to be where you can laugh about it as opposed to shredding your wife on an issue that is your fault and you know it. It's too easy to lash out in anger when you are really very much pissed off at yourself. I have fun with my wife because I don't sweat the dumb * things.

Comments

• bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laughter is the best medicine! It has cured me many times.
    My wife is very quick to laugh, makes it easy for me.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Thats no good at all.[V]

While I realize its probably impossible, I would probably go back with a strong magnet and a lot of line.
  • BrunenBrunen Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL - that beats me. I had a brand new shimano rod with a shimano calcutta 151, and I was fishing in 40 degree water off Long Island NY on the wreck with my Dad and his buddy. I rested my rod at the boat corner instead of putting it in a holder, when a wave rocked us, causing my bait to fall in the water about 12" down. One of them pulled up a sea bass, and following the bass was a 30" dog shark that saw my bait, and in the blink of an eye grabbed the bait and took off. Needless to say, I wasn't quick enough and got to watch the same view as the rod went down in cold, clear water with the shark on the other end. I was fuming. The next doggie I caught became chum. What made that $250 hurt more was that I was only 16, so I had saved for a while for that combo.

Beeramid made a great suggestion, grab a huge magnet, there is no real current in that lake, you may actually get lucky.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The way to get that rig back, is to DRAG for it.Go get u a "snatch hook"(weighted treble hook) and drag it across the bottom, in a grid pattern, until u snag it up..
  • keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    The way to get that rig back, is to DRAG for it.Go get u a "snatch hook"(weighted treble hook) and drag it across the bottom, in a grid pattern, until u snag it up..

I've done that and it worked for me.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The devil made you do it.

Now go buy a nice Penn Reel!
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    woodguru if you are right about the depth it might be possible to have local dive club members retrieve it for you. It is within the range of sport divers depth limit for deep dives. Might be worth a phone call to your local dive shop. Good luck...Skicat
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the bad day fishing -VS- a good day at work
    and fishing still wins. ( sorry about your reel)
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Wife and I were fishing at Lake Erie last summer; We did not have expensive equipment but it was our favorite. I was watching her and all of a sudden she goes to cast and there goes the rod and reel way out in the lake! She had the funniest look on her face. We were lucky and dragged the bottom and got everything back. We were surprised to hear how often this happened from onlookers.