In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What GPS / depth finder should I buy?

mnmoosemnmoose Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
I am Looking to buy a newer combination gps / depth finder for my boat which I use up here on fresh Water lakes.

I would like your imput on which one to buy.
should I get color / or gray scale?
get the biggest screen I can afford?
which ones the easiest to use?
plotting a trail , marking home position.
waterproof vs water resistant?
service / repair positives or nigthmares?
Thank you for your replies and imput.

Pat

Comments

• 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Lowrance units. Up until this year I used M17 (B&W) on the bow, and A LCX25 (color) at the console. I like the color much better. Easier to see and I think they mark fish better. This year I updated to the LCX-38CHD. Bigger screen (old eyes) than the 25, moved the 25 to the bow.

I'm in the Northeast and fish deep for smallmouth, 15' to 50' feet and have no trouble finding humps, grass, bait, and fish. 15' or less and I'm not looking for fish but mostly for structure, areas where shallow fish should be 8' to the shore and I'm wearing a good set of polarized sun glasses [8D] looking for rocks, trees, and grass, something to hold fish.

>I'd go with color over B&W, easier to separate objects.
    >I think screen size depends on your eyes.
    >All are pretty easy to use in the auto mode.
    >Plotting a trail before you go on the water, you would have to know the georef position of each mark you add to the unit. If you are on the water, just put a way-point where you enter the water (press "WPT" key twice)that's your home position. With a Lowrance unit, it will leave a trail (highlighted pink line)where you have been, at the end of the day look for your original home way-point, then navigate to it. Put the unit in the track up mode. In this mode, as you move on the water the map will rotate as you move and everything on the map stays in it's orientation relevant to the boat. If the map shows "cat island" on your right, then "cat island" is on your right. You can erase all your trails at the end of the day, or save them.
    > service ??? I've only sent one unit back to Lowrance in 20 years. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.
  • crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy I fish with has a Side Finder Tournament model and I really like it. It has a grey screen, and shows the different size fish on it. Super unit.