In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many ice fish?

elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
edited February 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I've seen Rugergunz sweet tip ups but who else likes to ice fish and what do you fish for?

I haven't been in years but I'm going to fix that real soon. Most people around here just fish for rainbows but I've got a buddy who is going to take me after Lake Trout. We have at least another week or two before the reservoir freezes.

Comments

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not me....I went through the ice once when I was 14 while hunting.
    I was an avid ice fisherman prior to that. In the 30 plus years since that time I have only walked on a frozen body of water once and it was only because I had to do it....
  • CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy it. Don't do very much and we haven't had any friggin ice this year so.... but the last two years have been good for rainbow through the ice at a local lake (oliver Lake in Northern Indiana).
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I do but the water in SWNY hasn't got hard yet for the first time in 20 years.
    Ice cold Yellow Perch flash frozen on the ice is purdy tastey stuff.............
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ice fish to. Mostly for perch and saugeye. It hasn't been cold enough yet, nor do I think it will be this year.
  • fasttackfasttack Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you guys not go out and fish on these warm winter days.
    I assume you are in the northeast as is I. Have gone out over the holiday week and caught some bass and if I wanted, all the perch and crappie I wanted
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fasttack
    Why would you guys not go out and fish on these warm winter days.
    I assume you are in the northeast as is I. Have gone out over the holiday week and caught some bass and if I wanted, all the perch and crappie I wanted

Duck hunting until everything is frozen.
    edited November -1
  • Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would, but the ice rarely gets thick enough for long enough to be able to go out and do any. I want to, specially since we have some really nice crappie and panfish possibilities.
  • zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im goin next weekend. We fish for walleye,perch,ling,and trout.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zacg

Call me dumb but what's a "ling?" Never heard of that before.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Huntingnerd33

I was assuming greyling but not sure, good question.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    quote:Originally posted by Huntingnerd33

I was assuming greyling but not sure, good question.

Ah, that's probably it.
    edited November -1
    Also know as burbot. There basicly a fresh water cod. To me they look like a cross between a catfish and an eel thats been painted camo. There meat is green untile you cook it then it turns white. [:)]
    edited November -1
    I swear i was sober when i made that last post[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    You guys dont think im lieing do you?
    edited November -1
    http://images.ask.com/fr?q=Burbot&desturi=http://www

JUst hit the search button and you will find lots of info on ling.[:)]
    edited November -1
    http://images.ask.com/fr?q=Burbot&desturi=http://www

JUst hit the search button and you will find lots of info on ling.[:)]

So not a greyling at all...learn something every day. Odd looking fish. The first link that came up says there is "little of no" sportfishing pressure on the species...makes it even cooler that you fish for them.

Where do you find them...deep/shallow...how active are they in winter? The link says they spawn in winter...

And yes I figured you had been drinking...[:D]
    edited November -1
    Last year we were catching them in about three feet of water. Your allowed 6 line a piece during the ice covered period here. We set all our lines with live minnows about a foot off the bottom. Winter is the best time to fish for them. About tree weeks before and about three weeks after ice out you can catch them from the shore but hardly any people fish for them. Very mild fish taste.
    edited November -1
    Last year we were catching them in about three feet of water. Your allowed 6 line a piece during the ice covered period here. We set all our lines with live minnows about a foot off the bottom. Winter is the best time to fish for them. About tree weeks before and about three weeks after ice out you can catch them from the shore but hardly any people fish for them. Very mild fish taste.

Looks like they can get big. How big are the ones you get into? BTW ice fishing in 3 feet of water is cool...
    edited November -1
    The average ling is about 18inches and 2-3#. The biggest one i caught was about 4.5# Our state record is 19.4 and 44 inches long.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll stick to the walleye, and perch!
    edited November -1
    So whos been ice fishin lately? [:p]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it stays cold like this for the next two weeks, I might be by feb.
    edited November -1
    Soon...everything is just freezing now. I'm suprised it has taken this long becuse it has been so cold here but the lake is much more full than years past...
    edited November -1
    We went last weekend. The heater went out in the camper so we had to spend two nights in the pickups. Temps went down to -18 and the warmest it got was 2. I only caught one lonely perch [:(!]but everone else did real well. Had a lot of fun though.[:)]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been collecting stuff to go ice fishing for a couple years now. But last winter we had no ice in Massachusetts. This year it is looking good. I stopped by a little lake while riding through my deer hunting woods in Mansfield (SW of Boston) and the ice was plenty thick!

Now, I've gotta find my stuff ... and get-er-done!

Actually my last outing on the ice was up in Povungnituk, Quebec, and we were pulling in 4 foot long Trout and Artic Char. Yummmmm! But that was 25 years ago!
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When i was in canada in the 90's we caught fish that looked like burbot and they called them lawyers guess cause they were so ugly.tks hedge[:D]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are just starting to get good ice here in western, and upstate NY. I hope to be able to get in enough fishing before walleye season ends on March 15th. I live very close to Sodus bay, and also hit some lakes in the Adirondack region for Northern Pike, and Walleye.
  • yawarakaiyawarakai Member Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried ice fishing once, caught a couple of cubes. I really wanted that 5 pound bag though. [:D]
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of my boys is on days off from his job in alaska and So him, the wife and two grandkids and I went today, got 11, biggest 3lb smallest 1 1/2 lb, mostly all Hybrid (rainbow/cuttthroat cross) few native cutts and one torpedo silver brown. Boy waxed dad 6 to 3, cleaned them when I got home and all were clear full of small minnows. Will go again monday
    edited November -1
    went to Jackson lake in Wyoming yesterday (23-2) and we got 7 Macks (lake trout) all about 3 lbs, going to Palisades Resorvoir in the morning and going to target Macks there also, but taking gear for cutts,browns, and rainbows incase the macks don't want to cooperate.
    edited November -1
    Nice fish. My dad always had luck with buzz bomb lures for macs here in Wyoming. They work well for other trout species too.
    edited November -1
    went to Palisades lake 25-2, got 1 brown 5.5 lbs, 4 cutt/rainbow hybrids couple lbs each.
    Now getting reved up and ready for the Ice fishing derby on Fremont lake just out of Pinedale Wyoming on the 3rd and 4th Mar.
    Have all week to wait and sort through gear
    edited November -1
    Quick report from the Jig-n-Pig Candlewood Lake, CT Feb 24 2007

300 anglers entered $1200 prize in 3 classes Bass, Trout, Perch
    Bass 6.1 lbs (14 anglers caught bass over 5lbs)
    Perch 1.6 lbs
    Trout 1.7 lbs (only one trout caught!)
    Plenty of roast pig, venison, and suds were consumed!
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a fun one,
    the Fremont derby
    Saturday and Sunday Big Fish booth days
    (1)$1000
    (2) 400
    (3)200
    (4) 150

Daily biggest rainbow and biggest brown $100
    Hourly fish $100

Lake Trout minimum 24"
    Rainbow 16"
    Brown16"

Hopefully we will connect on some money, but maybe have some pictures anyway, myself, few nephews and several buddies are taking snowbuggies and a couple taking their snowplanes over.
    On that do any of you have or live where snowplanes are used?