In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best "Fish" Story!??

11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
...SO what's your best fishing story? NOT one you hear, or of uncle Jim or brother Bobs ...What's the best fish story that happened to you?

Comments

• SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine's pretty simple. This past spring, I started using a secondary drop on my fly line. That is, I'd add a wet fly of some sort, about 12 inches below my popper, and get with it.

A number of times, I caught doubles, with two bream and so forth. But the best, in a local river, was when I caught a 2 pound bass on the popper, and a ten ounce or so bluegill on the wet fly at the same time. No big deal until a 20 inch or so alligator gar chomped down on the bluegill. It was a fun fight until about three feet from the bank, when the gar decided to let go and go on about his business.

Sahagan
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When snook season opened last labor day weekend I went in my 9' kayak at 5:30 dark AM. on the first cast into some surface activity I hooked onto a good one. After a couple jumps I realized I was out of the slot size for snook (over 32 inch) and it had red eyes I could see with my little head lamp. It was a Tarpon and really kicking up a fuss. When it got close to my yak it jumped and landed in my lap and in a nano second was out again. It had tossed the plug out on his way thank goodness because it was then stuck in my arm with one treble hook and the other one was in my shirt. Glad he got away it could have been worse, in the face or him still on the other hook and it would have ripped me pretty good, maybe tipped me over. Drowned by a Tarpon? Embarassing! I cut the hooks away with pliers that I carry so I could paddle and went to the ER to have the hooks removed from my arm and get a tetinus shot. It was 6AM Sunday and all the Saturday night drunks had left already so they took me right in.
    It was a hoot. Tried to hook up again but no luck, I'll have to keep them away from the yak until they are tired.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mid November 1999, I was fishing on an unusually warm day for the time of year. My wife had just been released from the hospital, she was in for a small surgical procedure and it turned out to be cancer and the process turned into a major operation by the time it was done.

Family was taking care of my wife and encouraged me to get out of the house for a few hours. So I did to get my head back on straight and think though our situation.

Third cast of the day with a #3 Blue Fox inline spinner over a log near a drain cover produced a 15 minute battle....

The end results, a nine pound 1 oz largemouth bass...
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now this really happened today. I was fishing today on my home lake Lake of the Ozarks. I had been fishing a jerk bait pretty much and just really wanted to give somthing else a try. I told my partner that we were coming up on a secondary point that I have caught lots of bass on. I threw a white crankbait way up on the point and the wind was blowing and I got a little backlash. I ended up with broken line on my real spool. As normal I went to pull the line in wraping it up on my hand. I said to my partner wouldn't it be wild to catch a fish like this I felt a tap and here I am hand lining in a bass. It jumped once then went under the boat I gave that fish every chance in the world to get off. I ended up catching a 3.5 lb Kentucky. Kentuckys (Spotted Bass) have an attitude of a smallie and don't give up easy. I have never done this before and probably never do it again but I guess you have to be careful for what you wish for. I did wish for a monster bass the rest of the day but that never happened.
    Not a great story but a first for me.

Catch Hogs
  • m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Summer 1962. Me and my best pal Danny were fishing what was called the "Deep Hole" in Mill Creek at Cottageville, West Virginia. Cane poles and worms, catching small bluegills left and right. The blue gills stopped biting and after a few minutes, we started catching huge black crappies as fast as we could pull them in. When it was over we each had about 20 of them (13 year old farm boys don't think about catch limits). The Deep Hole is long gone under muddy backwaters thanks to the Racine Dam on the Ohio River but the memory of that day remains.
    Mike in Michigan
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is kind of a fish story. I was fishing on Markleeville Creek on a really good hole just below town. I'd caught some 16" and 17" fish out of that hole in the past(Rainbow planters). Anyhow, I hooked one and played him up to me. It was about 12" Rainbow. So I cast again in this hole and I've got a bite like you wouldn't believe. He's big and bends my pole way down... Then comes this deer, little forked horn, and jumps right in the middle of my pool! Well it's opening of archery deer season and I expect to have someone with a bow following closely. Nothing but no bites either. Anyhow, I hear this thrashing off in the direction the deer went after he ruined my fishing hole. I walk about fifty yards and there he is laying down by this barb-wire fence. I figure someone got him but didn't follow him. I'm looking him over, then grab an antler to roll him over and he dies! I'm thinking WTH!! No arrows in him whatsoever!! Is he diseased?? Then I notice the nick in the front of one of his antlers...and the corresponding hair on the barbwire fence he was laying next to. he hit the fence and broke his neck.
    I walked back to the general store where three hunters who had spent the weekend getting skunked, were sitting. I told them where he was. They went and got him and that was their trophy for the weekend. Glad to see he didn't go to waste but I've never gotten over the bite he ruined for me.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long story short....

Deep sea fishing off the coast of Clearwater, FL. Grouper and Snapper fishing. Hooked on to a monster. Thought it was a Grouper. As I bring it in, about 20ft from the boat it began to take shape.

6'-6'6" Nurse Shark, Est. at 165-180 lbs.

It was awesome.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of my highlights of bass fishing was catching two largemouths at the same time on a Rapala,one was 15&1/2" on the front hook and a 16&1/2" on the back hook,i didn't have a scale to weigh them with me but i measured them and released them but when i was reeling "it" in it felt like a monster until i saw it was two fish,just one of my many experiences