In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First fishing hole post

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
edited April 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Any of yall know what works real good for crappy in NC? I've used storm baits with good effect(curl tail wildeye minnows), but is there anything better? Also, whats a decent reel for a cheap price. I was looking at the Zebco strike alerts, and I like zebcos, but it looks a little cheesy. I'm looking for maybe $40 or less. Anybody have experience with the strike alerts?

Comments

• shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use crickets here in WNC. Put some orange peel in with then for a day before you fish with them and crappy tear them up!!
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small live minnows, small jigs tipped with minnows, waxworms/maggots.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax
    Any of yall know what works real good for crappy in NC? I've used storm baits with good effect(curl tail wildeye minnows), but is there anything better? Also, whats a decent reel for a cheap price. I was looking at the Zebco strike alerts, and I like zebcos, but it looks a little cheesy. I'm looking for maybe $40 or less. Anybody have experience with the strike alerts?

Depends on where you are. I primary fish Lake Norman. We use mostly minnows under lights at night and shoot small curly tails under piers during the day. I use a Penn 4300 open face with 6 lb with a 5' Allstar light rod. I also go after crappie with a 5 wt Orvis flyrod with small minnow imitations. Clousers in white, chartreuse, silver.