In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need some fishing help here!

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
edited March 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
First trip down to this forum, hello.[8D]

Me and a buddy are taking our wives and kids up to Lake DeGray, AR. this coming up weekend for a little camping trip. We've rented a couple boats and want to do a little fishing one of the days. Well since there's no place to load the bullets in my trusty old Zebco 33 I don't claim to be even a novice fisherman.[:D] Now, I mainly want to catch bream which is good because I do have the old worm and hook covered. I've done a lot of fishing in the past but the worm, cork, and hook is as far as I've ever gotten into the fishing experience.

Here's where I need some help. I would also like to catch some bass if possible. Can anyone tell me what the best lure/lures to buy/use are for this time of year? I'm limited to the old Zebco, so a cast and reel type lure is what I'll be using. Type, color, and tricks/tips? The high temps. are supose to be around 71*. I know it's kinda like a I got this gun whats it worth question, but any help will be appreciated.

I actually do have a question concerning the old worm and hook for bream. Should I set the worm close to the bottom of the water or near the top?

I also need these suggestions to be found at Wally World, which is where I'll stop in and grab what y'all recommend. Thanks![8D]

Ben

Comments

• blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy 2 or3 inexpensive spinner baits in floresent colors.I would also get 2or 3 crank baits in different colors and shapes. Something that looks like a shad or minnow. Walmart has them. Just keep castin for cover around the bank and off points. If they are bitin you should catch some Bass. For Bream gills or whatever, wax worms on a long shank Number 8 hook under a bobber should get them. Keep changing your depth sliding the bobber till you get bites. they should be in 4 or 5 foot of water right off the bank this time of year good luck
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blugill
    I would buy 2 or3 inexpensive spinner baits in floresent colors.I would also get 2or 3 crank baits in different colors and shapes. Something that looks like a shad or minnow. Walmart has them. Just keep castin for cover around the bank and off points. If they are bitin you should catch some Bass. For Bream gills or whatever, wax worms on a long shank Number 8 hook under a bobber should get them. Keep changing your depth sliding the bobber till you get bites. they should be in 4 or 5 foot of water right off the bank this time of year good luck

Thanks a bunch for the help, that's what I was looking for. Now will the lures say "Spinner Bait" and "Crank Bait" on them or will I have to know what they look like? Only lures I've ever used were "Buzz Baits" and an old "Torpedo". Thanks again![8D]

Ben
    edited November -1
    Spinner baits are buzz baits. They have feathers and skirts and shiny blades.Crank baits look like a small fish or minnow or frog or whatever. They usually have a lip on the front to make them run deeper the faster you "crank" it in. Made of plastic or balsa. Hope toy catch a mess!
    edited November -1
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Thanks blugill, I think I got it.[8D]

Ben