In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SMOKE CARP

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
I live on the Holston river in East Tn and we have lots of carp. I am getting a bow rig to shoot some. I have a smoker and have heard that they are OK smoked. Any advice?

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I tried it just one time, never again..... stuff tasted nasty to me...
    Walleye,Trout, Bullhead, Perch, even Sunfish in the smoker is tasty but never cared for Carp out of the smoker...
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Carp fished all my life. Love catching those monsters but not worth eating IMHO. I always threw them back.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are hungry enough. Smoke them then cut small and use alot of spice like the Asians do to dress it up.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    sounds like a catch and release fish...
  • BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a fish arrow. I have shot at 4 carp and scored zero. Will try again.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Try bleeding them ASAP after catching.Then fillet,leaving skin on.Brine in 1C. Kosher salt to 1/2gal. water,overnight.Rinse and smoke as usual.If they still ain't any good 2 eat after that.They ain't any good'tall
  • gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them canned or smoked, but usually catch or speer in the winter or early spring when they are firm. I have even broiled small one after skinning and removing all the fat from them. We never used a brine just green sassafras for the smoke, and nothing on them.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have trouble keeping them lit!
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I have had smoked carp from MilleLacs lake in MN and it was delicious. Tasted like smoked ham. Got to get the fish from cold clean water for the best taste.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bamavol
    I have a fish arrow. I have shot at 4 carp and scored zero. Will try again.
    U need to shoot WAY LOW..[:D]
    edited November -1
    This time I used my 357. I shot one ( 2 hits and 2 misses) and got it out of the river. (this is not as easy as it sounds). Now I am ready to try smoked carp.
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I'm afraid I can't answer your question with any recipe advice, but here in wisconsin smoked carp is considered quite edible and even sold legally. Must agree that it is much like oily smoked ham. It has a following but I can take it or leave it. Better if harvested in spring. I am told by those that smoke, that if weather is hot, they are best put on ice (or at least cold water). They are less fishy if the red (oily) meat is trimmed and they are scored prior to smoking. Early spring carp (colder water) are better than late summer carp. Carp here are considered a nuisance fish that is far more damaging to waterfowl habitat than valuable as a game fish. It can be sold to mink ranches or used as fertilizer. Although it is considered bad to waste natural resources, the consensus here is that if you dont eat it, feed it to mink, or use it as fertilizer, it is better to give it to a smoker or leave it for the raccoons than release it.
    edited November -1
    I fileted the carp and soaked the filets in a strong salt and sugar brine mix for a day or two in the frig. It would also be good to add crushed pepper. I smoked them for 4 to 6 hours at 150 to 200. The result was good. A lot like jerkey, but still had bones.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    I have trouble keeping them lit!
    You have to roll them real tight and use a flare to light them!
    edited November -1
    Fishkiller41, I lived in Cocoa and worked at the cape during Apollo.
    You are right afout refraction. However I am shooting in very shallow water. Often the back is out of the water. I have hit a few some got off.
  • kooterbillkooterbill Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you must cook carp to eat, the only way to cook them IMHO is to
    pressure cook them. A friend takes 2 weeks vacation every year when the carp are running and catches all he can. He pressure cooks them and cans them. Don't know what kind of seasoning he uses, but he claims they are delecious.

We have gravity on earth because the world sucks
  • brianhunter123brianhunter123 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know the best way to cook a carp? Use your favorite wood for smoking, i like a nice hickory plank my self. prepare the fillet by cleaning it. attach the fillet to the plank with clean nails.smoke until fish is flaky and done. Then throw the fillet away and eat the board lol. im sorry buddy i had to mess with ya. i cant stand the taste of carp. take it easy and God Bless
    Philippians 4:13
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We live on a lake in Wisc. that used to auction off the rights to net carp. They had many end uses but most were processed and sold on the East coast as Gaviltga fish?![?] A Jewish dish.