In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best line for bait cast reels

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
If this has been posted before please excuse me (I normally post on general forum).

What would you guys consider the best line for bait cast reels, used just for general small lake fishing (no competitive fishing).

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I am partial to Ande. That being said I have been re-spooling my salt water reels with braid. My Penn International 965s I can get 500 yards of 20# along with 100' of Ande 20# mono. My Ambassador 6500s I am getting 375 yards of 20# along with 100' of Ande 20# mono. My Ambassador 4600s I spool with 12# Berkley fluorocarbon. The 4600s are what I use throwing artificials for largemouth. My Penn 140 Squidders, I use for surf fishing, I get 500 yards of 30# braid and 100' of 30# Ande mono. The braid works great for surf fishing. Its thinner, less resistance in the water and I can spool a lot more and heaver # line. I also can detect the slightest nibble.

I guess what it boils down to is what your intended purpose for your reels. Most major manufacturer's lines will do. If you have several reels go out and buy several brands and try them out. If you are casting artificials you want a nice limp line that does not interfere with the action of your lure. I like the Berkley fluorocarbon for this. If you are bait fishing you want a tough abrasion resistance line. Thats what I like about Ande. It is tough and abrasion resistance.
  • ChalklineChalkline Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm assuming you truly mean for use on bait casting reels and not the simpler (to use) spin casting or spinning reels. That being said, .......

I typically use fluorocarbon lines, Seaguar Invizx is my preferred brand but if that's a little too expensive for you then look for Seaguar Abrazx, Seaguar Red Label or Berkley Vanish.

Fluorocarbon lines are nearly invisible in water and tailor made for clear water lakes, bright sun fishing conditions like you seem to be indicating. The lines are very sensitive (feel your fish pick up the bait) and are best used on bait casting rigs. IMO, fluorocarbon can't be beaten with soft plastic worm or lizard bait. Or when your line is stationary for that matter...like with weighted night crawlers. It's not terribly durable though so if you're an inexperienced bait cast fisherman (i.e., prone to getting backlashes) you might want to look elsewhere.

Click on THIS Bass Pro article for a tutorial on the various kinds of fishing lines and their best uses.

I might also suggest you read up on the user critiques of the various lines on Amazon. More people buy fishing line online from Amazon than any other site. And you can be sure they'll not hesitate to spout off if a line doesn't pass muster. You just have to be diligent in sorting out the meaningful critiques from the "user error" critiques.

Edited: Spelling
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Penn reels and Berkeley line.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as anything it depends on what you are fishing JMO
    When fishing top water baits I prefer to use mono. The reason is because it floats. On baits like a Zark * I use 17 lb test mono because it floats and eaiser to walk the dog. Other chugger style baits I use much smaller pound test. There are so many brands on the market I personally use Bass Pro Mono face cheap and holds up well for me HOWEVER I change line very often and keep my line stored out of the light in a cool place.
    I like P line florocarbon for anything that sinks for feel. There is no doubt it is way more sensative than mono. Expense is an issue It coust about 10 to 12 dollars to completly fill a spool on a baitcaster.
    I don't really care for braid except for fishing the Alabama Rig.

Very seldom do I completly fill a spool on a baitcaster usually only on a cleaning teardown. I normally leave a small amout of line on a reel as a backer and tie on to it putting about 75% of new line. Again this depends on what you are using the rod for.This allows me to change more often and keep the line cost down.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I use spider wire, but back lass it and you might have to cut it. If you know how to cast, I would go spider wire.