In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any collectors of vintage fishing equipment here?

317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in The Fishing Hole!
A couple of weekends ago I picked up some gear at a yard-sale, For what I thought was a good price. Got 3 older reels: An old Langley lightweight bait-casting reel, with new old line still on it. Not sure about the line, it is woven or braided, and alternates between 3 colors every 12" or so, I heard they did this way back when to keep tack of lure depth. An Ocean City Model 923 level-wind saltwater reel, black bake-lite and either SS or chrome, very nice, looks new. They were a main competitor of Penn. Star drag w/ lever actuated free-spool, spool tension adjustment and clicker also, can hold 250 yards of line. I think it will make a great catfish reel. Also a Shakespeare Model 1775, neat looking reel, ribbed metal casting button, model name & number engraved on the aluminum side-plates, imitation mother-of-pearl reel handle, sort of brownish enamel finish w/ polished aluminum side-plates. I will probably use it on a light panfish type rod.

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I collect some old salt water reels and would be interested in the Ocean City if you decide to sell it.
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ-55 I forgot to mention I bought the Shakespeare and the Langley for $10, and the Ocean City for $12, I also bought an old Wright&McGill spinning rod for $5, I thought I did pretty well, I really like the OC though I have no use for it. I don't really need another hobby but I like these older reels and I will probably hold onto them for awhile.
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy who started the Penn reel company worked for Ocean City in the early days, they made some nice reels.
    Just picked up a vintage Penn Delmar 285 auction side.
    not many people here looking for old reels so you can find some deals.
    The 285 looks flawless, though I haven't received it yet.
    its getting oiled and greased and going on a vintage South Bend "Black Knight" custom rod for my new (old) sheepshead rig.