In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jon boat ?

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited August 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Got a 14 foot aluminum boat and wanted to know what kind of rope to use on my trailer wench.

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are so light you could probably use anything. Depends on what you outfit it with. Stay away from cheap stuff like clothline.
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    How about 100 pound utility line?
    edited November -1
    Not certain that would have what it takes to pull it out when its wet or after some rain with gear on. What is the break point of the line?
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    fastcarsgofast....depends on the weight of your boat. I years ago used nylon rope on my 12'jon boat until one day it broke my rope, leaving me with a wading problem to go fetch! Taught me lesson to use wire always so I never had a problem again. But I never used it on my wench....only on my winch!
    edited November -1
    OK, so I can't spell.[:D]

wpage, the utility line has a 100 pound load limit.

gary wray, what type of wire did you use? Was it like the cable used on dog runners?
    edited November -1
    Since a gallon of water wieghs appox 8 lbs. 100 lb line wont do it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    OK, so I can't spell.[:D]

wpage, the utility line has a 100 pound load limit.

gary wray, what type of wire did you use? Was it like the cable used on dog runners?

1/4" braided wire works well...use it on my 13' Whaler and it works fine on it too[:)][:)]
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets figure this out not trying tp be a wise guy or something For safety reasons alone of not only losing your boat motor fishing eguiptment.Not to mention what ever damage happens to the people that are behind you as the boat possibly goes skipping down the road. Forget the light stuff and get a good winch strap. You can get one for under $20. The good thing I like about the strap is it never digs down in the spool.

You have waited a long time to get the boat now fix it the first time the right way, You can get the straps at Bass Pro or even Walmart.
    The best of luck with your new toy but just remember to use the boat as much as possible.
    edited November -1
    The boat is secured to the trailer with several of those winch style lashing straps, so I'm not really concerned about it coming off. I just want to make sure that I don't have to go swimming after it when I'm loading up at the end of the day.
    edited November -1
    fastcarsgofast....I assumed that you had the boat fastened down on the trailer but were asking about what to do with the winch. Again...go with the wire, will never fail but lub it up some so it doesn't rust (or get stainless, which is what I use). Now, go catch some fish![:D][:D][^][^]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    All of mine use strap. Only way to go.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I'm kinda partial to the strap too...it'll show signs of fraying long b/4 it breaks so, it won't let U down...