In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trying to get into Fly-Fishing. Need some tips.

smile_for_me7465smile_for_me7465 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
I need some ideas on what flies to get. I'm learning on my uncle's lake. Right now I'm trying to fish for Bluegill on a stillwater pond. What flies should I be using for this?

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I catch Bluegills on small top water poppers and largemouth on the larger poppers. Lots of fun. Also any minnow imitation works for bass and crappie. Usually white or chartreuse with a little Mylar for flash.

For strippers I use chartreuse and white Clousers that are about 6" long. Find a school of them and start casting just in front of the school. To catch big strippers use a big bait.
  • smile_for_me7465smile_for_me7465 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    I catch Bluegills on small top water poppers and largemouth on the larger poppers. Lots of fun. Also any minnow imitation works for bass and crappie. Usually white or chartreuse with a little Mylar for flash.

For strippers I use chartreuse and white Clousers that are about 6" long. Find a school of them and start casting just in front of the school. To catch big strippers use a big bait.

What do the poppers look like? I've had people suggest them to me too, but when I go to the fishing store I don't know what they look like. There also wasn't anything listed as Popper.
    edited November -1
    Its a little round cork with rubber feelers coming out of it's sides. It usually has a concave face where the eyelet is and is painted in bright colors. You make your cast and as the popper lands in the water you start to pop it along the surface. They imitate a bug skirting along the surface of the water.

The last ones I bought were only a few cents. Less than a dollar each.
  • smile_for_me7465smile_for_me7465 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Its a little round cork with rubber feelers coming out of it's sides. It usually has a concave face where the eyelet is and is painted in bright colors. You make your cast and as the popper lands in the water you start to pop it along the surface. They imitate a bug skirting along the surface of the water.

The last ones I bought were only a few cents. Less than a dollar each.

I found one for $.92. It's not a cork though. Also, how exactly do you pop it? Sorry for all the questions, by I am really just starting out.
    edited November -1
    After you have made your cast and your line has settled down start by grabbing hold of your fly line and do series of short jerks on the line. As you retrieve your line you are jerking it in in short burst. This makes the popper pop.

This works over brush tops, over weeds, under docks. You can do a roll cast under a dock and if there are any bream there you will get one for sure.

There are several videos on YouTube about fly fishing. Here is one about using poppers for bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlpVVKvrnu0
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Rubber spiders work great for blue gill. Black bodies with white legs are IMO the best color. After the fly hits the water I count to ten before twitching it. The poppers that where mentioned work great too. Wet fly's like nymphs work good too but I like it better on the surface.

I usually find the best prices for spiders at K-Mart or Walmart.

http://www.gosale.com/image_detail.php?id=3491572
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another option is to use woolly buggers. They are fish killers from hell. A small black woolly in size 10 or 12, and the gills will smash them. Fish feed on underwater bugs 90% of the time. I like using top water stuff like spiders and bugs as well, but if you want to catch alot of fish, definitely go with the woolly buggers. I caught a 7 lb. largemouth on a size 4 yellow wolly bugger, and dozens of 2 lb. largemouth and smallmouth on a yellow woolly bugger. the only problem with the yellow woolly bugger is finding them. You'll have to have them tied in that color. Mostly what you find is black, brown and olive, but yellow, not so much. I would take a yellow over any other color any day though.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I'd be using a chartruse popper for a dry fly or go with a number 10 bead headed prince nymph if you really want to hook up. Use a long leader and don't worry about a sinking fly line for now. Count to ten and twitch it.

This time of year, most of them are going to be deeper than you'd like to be dry flying.