In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stocking pond with crappie

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in The Fishing Hole!
I have a pond apx. 2-3 acres of surface area with a 16 ft. deep end (when it doesn't turn into a sever drought like last year).

It was initally stocked with 200 channel cats, 500 blue gill and red ear and 160 bass 5 years ago. All are thriving, the cats are actually reproducing (I put in underwater spanning structures) with the inital stocked fish at around 4-5 lb. The bass are also growing with the largest caught (and released ) at 2-3 lb., with bluegill out the kazoo but on the smaller side (at least those the kids have caught). Minnows abound.

My question: I'm thinking of stocking some crappie in the 2-3 in. range. Would this be an option for a complete fishin hole or would I be wasting my money?

I live in south/central Indiana.

Comments

• dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not do this !
    Crappie are harder to control than bluegill. If you are not careful you will be overpopulated with 2=3 inch crappie.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crappie are absolutely not a good small pond fish.
  • ChalklineChalkline Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Crappie are absolutely not a good small pond fish.

Agree.

The small bluegill will provide enough food for your bass.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, that is the answer I needed to know. Just wasn't sure if crappie would be a good fit or not.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    u can stock them but you and anyone who fishes it NEVER throw one back! they will spawn before the other fish and soon overpopulate it. a friend ddid put some crappie in this 4 acre lake and some 15-16inchers have been taken out. he also demands all bass 10 to 14 be removed, as any channel catfish over 7 pounds. he doesnt have regular bluegill but yearly stocks the hybrids. not only does he have a great fishing spot its also a wood duck hotspot and we've taken geese there too!
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure hope the post count whores don't learn your awesome quad-posting technique, we will be doomed!!!!
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    discusdad
    I removed the multiple posts.