In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Well not fishing but Turkey Hunting Advice...

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
I went on the annual Turkey hunt in Sadieville Ky and while my friend got a Jake, I missed. Danm. It was a nice tom. I was in a elevated deer stand and the bird walked to 40 yds. I squeezed and missed 2x. fruck. Can anyone tell me why its not legal or sporting to shoot a turkey with a .22 or .17 hmr.??? I am soooooo much more confidant with a scope and crosshairs... I guess I need to practice more with the scattergun. (Editors note: I was using the shotgun for the 1st time... Didnt fly with my ole 11-87 and my buddy had rounded up a couple of shotguns. a mossberg 500 (28" with a full choke) and a Benelli nova with turkey choke... But I missed with both so it wasn't the gun. Any advice on elevation hold of a 3 in #6 shot??? I was about 20 feet up and the distance from the bottom of the stand was about 35yd... but also the reason no rimfires/???
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a matter of trying the gun out. Pa turkey opens this Sat. Best to paper test your gun ahead of time to get a handle...,

They have nice turkey paper targets now.

Its a rush just to be there and take the shot. Sounds like you did your part for conservation this time. Kudos to you for that!
  • surjo666surjo666 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is awesome. It sounds like real fun. Can't wait to take part in the event next year.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U might also benefit from a trip or 3 to the trap/skeet range,to help with the fliers,as far as settin on the gnd. shots,the turkey targets at different distances will for sure help U out..
  • ole44ole44 Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    might try to pattern your shot gun with different chokes at 35 yrd or so
  • Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can go back to the SAME TREE STAND and shoot at a Paper target with the same Gun and Shot from the same stand,
    You should then be able to see why that you missed 2 times

YOU MAY NEED YOUR BUTT KICKED EXTRA HARD!!