In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fillet knife

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
neighbor at lake has us over for catfish & crappie when we get down there & i thought about getting him a GOOD fillet knife...maybe something unique like a ken richardson....but ????? appreciate any advice on type, brand, size...thanks

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Rapala J. Martiini filet knives. For the bigger fish I use the 9" blade, and for smaller fish I have a couple that have shorter blades. A three knife set would make a great gift.

You also might want to consider buying an electric filet knife.
    What's next?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a filet knife with a good handle and a long blade for those big fish 9" sonunds good...
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Look up warthers. Beautiful knives.

Cutco is good too.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek.......it all depends on what you want. Do you want a collector filet knife? If so, go with my knifemaker, Mike Drost of French Creek WV (www.drostknives.com). Mike has built me six knives, all collector grade, and is IMHO, one of the best knife makers in the US. It ain't cheap, but they are works of art. Check his Model 11 as I got it in Collector Grade and it is beautiful...never fails to get looks and questions when I take it out. Can't beat the Sombar stag for which I am a fool. Mike made me a one of a kind copy of the M3 fight knife of WWII that is, well, super! If just run of the mill filet knife, can't beat the old Rapala of which I keep one in all tackle boxes...but check Mike Drost out for one in a lifetime knives. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    spasmcreek.......it all depends on what you want. Do you want a collector filet knife? If so, go with my knifemaker, Mike Drost of French Creek WV (www.drostknives.com). Mike has built me six knives, all collector grade, and is IMHO, one of the best knife makers in the US. It ain't cheap, but they are works of art. Check his Model 11 as I got it in Collector Grade and it is beautiful...never fails to get looks and questions when I take it out. Can't beat the Sombar stag for which I am a fool. Mike made me a one of a kind copy of the M3 fight knife of WWII that is, well, super! If just run of the mill filet knife, can't beat the old Rapala of which I keep one in all tackle boxes...but check Mike Drost out for one in a lifetime knives. Hope this helps.

That's a classic piece of work for sure!
    What's next?