In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good Boat Motors

jednorrisjednorris Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
I have a 115 Mercury motor on my 18 ft. center console. The boat is old and heavy and I believe the motor is early 80s. I only get about 2 - 3 M.P.G. and I just got the news that the lower unit was leaking oil and may be cracked. If it requires expensive repair, I am going to replace the motor. I am old school and my experiance tells me to trust only Evenrude, Johnson or Mercury. Are there other manufacturers that are now as good.?
Beeman

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suzuki! I've got a one of their DF140's on my 18' Lund and love it. It's the lightest motor in that HP class and has been very reliable. Not sure what the exact MPG is on it, but I'd be willing to bet that it's way better than 2-3. These are a 4 stroke engine so there's no fuel mixing required and it is very quiet.
    Though I'm not familiar with them, I've heard good things about the Honda boat engines as well.
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to work at a hatchery in AK, we used and abused boat motors every day all day long. We had a mix of Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes various horsepower. Slowly the Hondas got replaced with Yamaha, the most reliable one was probably 10 years old or so and used everyday still ran great. YMMV