In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you think of a Honda outboard?

gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
edited July 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Still shopping for an outboard for my 13' Whaler. Leaning toward a 40hp Honda. If you have had one, or one like it, what has been your experience?

Comments

• drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I was an Evinrude guy my whole life until I got a V-16 Alumacraft with a Merc in 2005. Took it off 2 years later and put on a 30 hp Honda in 2007 and I love it. Very quiet, dependable and unusually good cruising range. From my experience I recommend them. Again mine is a 30 and the 40 is quite a bit heavier and pricier but Ive never heard anything bad about them.Best of luck with your choice.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gary,
    Lots of guys around here use Yamaha outboards.,,
    My buddy just put a new 40 evinrude on his boat. He loves it. Since Bombardier acquired OMC which made evinrude johnson omc. They corrected the problems with the fuel injection system that fouled the prior units.

They have nice warren-tees on these evinrude johnson o/b's now so they are better. Not seeing any 40 hp honda's round here.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our 17' Lund Pro Sport has a 90hp Honda on it. A bit under powered, but it does work great for trolling. It also has an 8hp Honda kicker motor.

They are both a bit hard to start. They do have electric start, but take a bit of cranking, and some warm up time. They are very quiet, and real good on gas. 4 days of trolling Salmon on 13 gal of gas!
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Hate to say it but the Honda's are about the best motor out there. If you buy one you will not regret it.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta agree. Honda makes a good one. 40 HP on a 13' Whaler Wow. We've had one for years with a 35 and it's MORE than enough. Good luck, it's a great little boat.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Gotta agree. Honda makes a good one. 40 HP on a 13' Whaler Wow. We've had one for years with a 35 and it's MORE than enough. Good luck, it's a great little boat.
    That 40Hp. Honda 4-stroke is gonna weigh about the same as a 70Hp. John-Rude.BUT,,, at Idle/low speed, U can sneak up on ANYTHING.THEY ARE QUIET
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Honda, just can't afford a new one.[;)]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda motor swap on out boats. We moved the 90 from the Lund to the pontoon, and put a new EFI 90 on the Lund. What a difference it made. Smaller physical size to the EFI model and it planes the boat out better, and gained a lot of top end speed. 8 MPH difference. Not to mention it starts easier, and is even better on gas!
  • CgullCgull Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    honda 4 stroke is super quiet and dependable. I'd get one if I did'nt already have all I need.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies! I have my local marine guy looking for a Honda motor and taking some advice here, I'm thinking a 30hp will be what I need. The problem is that my old Whaler takes a short shaft motor and evidently they are hard to find???I have been told that most motors made today are long shafts so we are running into that problem. She is still sitting in my driveway waiting on a phone call!! If I can't find a Honda perhaps a Yamaha will do? Any experiences with them? I see a lot of folks up here in little DE with Yamaha's.