In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

storing an outboard?

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited August 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Just got a jon boat with an outboard on it. I won't be using the motor for a while since I usually fish in a private lake and the owner doesn't allow gas motors, plus it hasn't been serviced in years and I don't have the time or money to get it done this season.
My question is, if I take it off of the boat can I lay it on its side or does it need to be standing up?

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I usually mount mine on a bracket attached to my workshop wall. I also run the gas completely out and then clean the carbs out with a cleaner made especially for out boards. You do not want to use the carb cleaners that are sold at auto supply stores.

If it is going to be stored for extended period of time I will pull the plugs and spray some oil into the cylinders then reinstall the plugs.

You also want to replace the impeller every year and after any extended period of not using the motor. More motors are blown up due to a bad impeller than anything else.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its a 2 stroke you can lay it down. I would recomend with either type to change the lower gear oil...
    If a 4 stroke it has case oil and my leak out unless you lay it up properly.
    Do a google search on the make and model see if you can get a owners manual. Many are availble in Adobe acrobat formats.
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I built a bracket and mounted it to my garage wall. Now it is safe inside and out of the way too.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    If it's in running cond. U may want to start it, then use "fogging oil spray" to "Pickle" the engine.This will coat all bearings and piston rings for a year or better.Then drain the carbs.When I do go to use it,their will be a LOT of smoke at first but will subside to normal quickly.U "fog" the engine by spraying the fogging oil into the top carb.until the engine quits.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    If it's in running cond. U may want to start it, then use "fogging oil spray" to "Pickle" the engine.This will coat all bearings and piston rings for a year or better.Then drain the carbs.When I do go to use it,their will be a LOT of smoke at first but will subside to normal quickly.U "fog" the engine by spraying the fogging oil into the top carb.until the engine quits.

Thats the best bet to fog it and run it dry of fuel. Dump some stabil in the mix to get best results.