In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got spooled yesterday

MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
edited June 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
Up behind the dam yesterday fishing for white bass in our kayaks. I was using my Browning ultralight rod and my Sustain reel with 4 lb test. They had one of the turbines running so we were at the edge of the boiling water where the white bass were feeding.

I was using roster tails and made a cast along the wall when all of a sudden a good 3' long striper took my bait. I watched him as he came from behind the wall to take my rooster tail. LOL he never slowed down. I was afraid to tighten down the drag any tighter for fear of breaking off. I was hoping he would run out of steam. No luck, I could see the color of the spool thru what line I had left. I then cranked down on the drag a little and about that time I heard that snap sound of my line breaking. Hated leaving all that line in the water but nothing I could do about it. It was a good 30 minutes before my heart stopped pounding. Now that was fun![:D]

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure breaks your heart when that happens. Where were you fishing?
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I put 10lbs test power pro on my Browning Superlight, but I doubt it would have helped with a fish like that.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    Sure breaks your heart when that happens. Where were you fishing?

I was fishing below the dam on Mt. Island Lake. We were below McGuire Nuclear Plant right out of Charlotte NC.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a big-azzed trout do that to me two weekends ago. I had about 20 yards of line out trolling behind the boat and when he felt the hook he took off for parts unknown. He came out of the water once and looked to be 24-26 inches. He stripped 160 yards of 4lb test line like he knew what he was doing!
    That same day my fishin' buddy caught one that someone else had lost. Evidently they'd been bait fishing and broke one off. The hook had passed through the digestive system and came out the fishes hind end, leaving leader and a swivel hanging out the mouth. My buddy hooked the swivel with his Rapala. That's the second time I've seen that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    I had a big-azzed trout do that to me two weekends ago. I had about 20 yards of line out trolling behind the boat and when he felt the hook he took off for parts unknown. He came out of the water once and looked to be 24-26 inches. He stripped 160 yards of 4lb test line like he knew what he was doing!
    That same day my fishin' buddy caught one that someone else had lost. Evidently they'd been bait fishing and broke one off. The hook had passed through the digestive system and came out the fishes hind end, leaving leader and a swivel hanging out the mouth. My buddy hooked the swivel with his Rapala. That's the second time I've seen that.

LOL never seen that before. I bet that hook was hard to pass. I always thought they would rust away. I know they do in salt water.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

LOL never seen that before. I bet that hook was hard to pass. I always thought they would rust away. I know they do in salt water.

Sounds like he snagged it then.......LOL