In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

soap for catfish bait

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited May 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
I was watchi ng River Monsters the other night and Jeremy Wade was using soap as catfish bait in Africa. Has naybody tried this stateside?

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    I was watchi ng River Monsters the other night and Jeremy Wade was using soap as catfish bait in Africa. Has naybody tried this stateside?

Yes, soap works very well, especially on sidelines in shallow water shoal areas. I've used Palmolive, Dial, and similar squared and oblong shaped bars of soap myself with good results. Leave the wrapping on the bars and boil some water, toss in the wrapped soap bars and let them heat up a few minutes before you turn the heat off. Take the soap bars out of the hot water after the soap has had a chance to soften up a bit more, and let them cool off just enough to where you can handle them. Heating the soap up will allow you to slice the bar of soap without it crumbling when you slice it with a thin blade knife, or puncture it with the hook. Turn the bar of soap on its side (long edge down), and slice the soap in about 1/4 inch strips, then cut the strip into just less than 3/4 inch pieces. Take your container of prepared soap and go bait up your weighted side-line or trot-line into the water. Good luck!

One other note: Don't drop the "side-lines" into water that is too swift or the soap will dissolve too quickly.
    What's next?
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is called zote.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we used to use chunks of Dove soap on treble hooks for catfish here in VA. the state record was actually caught on it in '90 or '91 here on the Rappahanock river.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    ivory works here in nm
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kumatelives
    ivory works here in nm

Ivory would work good. I guess that just about any kind is alright.
    What's next?