In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

5/12 Lake Superior report

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
I know it was a week ago already, but this is my first chance to write much of a report.

My father-in-law and I went out on 5/12 out of Loons Foot landing at Superior WI. We did not rush up there at sunrise, but judging from the parking lot we should have! On the water putting out lines at 8:30, we marked fish in about 60FOW on top, down 20, and on the bottom. Out went the Otter Boats for planerboards, pulling our lure of choice 5" Matzou cranks about 100' back. One rigger set down 50' with a spoon.

The Coho where feeding up on top. Ended the day with 4 of them. Smaller- around 16-20", but by far the best eaters. Picked up one King down 50' on the spoon. A really nice king for Superior- around 15lbs.
photobucket-11981-1336841814032.jpg
Also on the rigger came a 7lb Lake Trout. That one so lazy would not trip the release, just followed us with the spoon in the mouth. The rod just didn't look right so I released it and found there to be the trout.

Could not ask for a better day. The lake was FLAT! Biggest ripple was the prop wash!
photobucket-16950-1336841810808.jpg
Here is the WI shore
photobucket-720-1336841812947.jpg
The MN shore
photobucket-10363-1336841812356.jpg

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like a great day! I fish with downriggers quite a bit but have never used the planer boards. How tough are they to use? It looks like a great way to spread the gear a bit more.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    That looks like a great day! I fish with downriggers quite a bit but have never used the planer boards. How tough are they to use? It looks like a great way to spread the gear a bit more.

Boards are fairly easy to use if you keep a few things in mind...
    First your farthest out lines must have the most line from release to the bait. Second keep the rods placed in the holders so that if a line releases it does not hit another rod. Last make your turns slowly. I have seen many lines tangled up from tight turns.

As for equipment I really like the Otter Boats for boards. Clip on boards like Yellow Birds work, but not as good in waves. Off Shore makes a good cheap release that floats. Many of the ones I use no longer have any color left to them, and still work.