In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WORM FARM

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
I built a worm box 2'x3'x1' deep. I am ready to fill it with peat moss. I want to produce night crawlers. Any one have experience with this?

Comments

• BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worms cost me $2.50 for 1 dozen. This is serious.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Use an old refrigerator. If you can find one for free. Worms like it a bit cool.
    Don't use the one in the kitchen.

[B)][xx(][V]

Allen
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a sheet of corrugated cardboard on the bottom of mine. The worms used it for food. Also kept it on the ground in an always shady cool spot. Never in the sun.
  • sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got tired of rebaiting expensive worms for my sons so I opened a mussle they found, cut the tough meat into two chunks, baited their hooks and they fished all day catching sunfish, crappie, small bass and never lost their bait! Fish can't live without it, can't leave it alone and can't steal it. Just plain old creek/river mussles. Insert knife between back hinge to cut them open, exposing the meat. Walla! Free bait for the day, money left for more beer!
  • sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FREE WORMS! (And Sideshow). Cut reception plug off old extension cord. Seperate hot and ground wires at least 10' back. Water down 5'x5' shaded area on east or north side of your house. Wrap stripped ends (approx. 2") of the two wires around 2 steel rods at least 1' long and stick them in opposite sides of the wet ground (no more than 5' apart). Get the kids back, plug the extension cord into a good recepticle, watch for a minute and see the worms come springing (as fast as a worm can spring) up on top of the wet ground. They're trying to get away from the shocking in the ground. Unplug the cord from the recept. and start grabing Quickly 'cause without the electric shock they'll go back down quick. While they're up they really dance and so will your dog if he wanders over onto the wet ground. Won't kill either though. Just shocks mildly as the ground absorbs most of the juice. Lots of free bait and entertainment!
  • SNAKEBIT1522SNAKEBIT1522 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We always used long aluminum gutter nails with the cut off ends of extension cords tied to them. If you get under a big oak tree and do that you will see even the really big pink works come up from way deep where they live. You can do it when it dry too as long as there is some moisture in the ground.