In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

suggest a lure

iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
edited October 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
I fish on a small (4 acre or so) retention pond during lunch.

Water is clear of obstruction, but there is some stuff on the edges to get hung up in. No real structure in the pond aside from depth changes and 2 cement drainage outlets.

I've had TONS of success using beetle spins, both with the tailed bodies and the grub nub style. Also had success with a 4" plastic worm w/ 1/0 hook and bullet sinker.

So... further suggestions on what to use? Must be light (I use a 5'6" ul spinning rig w/ 4lb test), prefer weedless or mostly weedless. Most bass in the pond are small (1lb seems average for me) but there are some bigger ones, as well as some BIG bluegills.

Comments

• fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Strike King Bitsy Minnow. Mine works like a charm.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Not sure about the treble hooks... I do have to pull thru some grasses, etc. growing right on the shore line...

Here's a pic of one I got today...

lunchbass.jpg
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to some grass bass lures

http://www.google.com/search?q=grass+bass+lures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

When I fish bass I like rappalla dippers that pop up & down...
    edited November -1
    Fixed the image (gb apparently doesn't like rfc compliant URLs).

That weed growth on the bank is unavoidable pretty much, unless I get a longer rod... hrm... an excuse for a new toy... hrm... [8D] [:D]
    edited November -1
    What kind of fish is that anyway? It looks like a sauger.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast

Florida strain large mouth bass... probably spawned last year.

Went during lunch again yesterday, caught 4 and missed a bunch on a 4" worm, 3/0 J-hook, small split shot about 12" up the line. Got some smaller (size 1) j-hooks for today's lunchtime adventure.

As they say, a bad day fishing beats a good day at work. When both are good, life is good.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast

Florida strain large mouth bass... probably spawned last year.

Went during lunch again yesterday, caught 4 and missed a bunch on a 4" worm, 3/0 J-hook, small split shot about 12" up the line. Got some smaller (size 1) j-hooks for today's lunchtime adventure.

As they say, a bad day fishing beats a good day at work. When both are good, life is good.

My friend, you are living the life.
  • brianhunter123brianhunter123 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    when fishin a pond its a little different. I use several different baits to determine what their hittin but usually they will hit anythang in a pond. My favorite is a 7 inch blue fleck power worm, i cant tell you how many large mouth ive caught using this worm on the lake and ponds. I also like to throw a super salt plus 6 inch lizard green pump. ive had alot of luck with that to. and last but definitively not the least is a 4 inch zoom tube jig pumpkin seed, if you cant catch fish with any of these baits you need to throw your rod in the water and take up ballet lol. Im just kidding with ya buddie dont ever give up. Some days you might wear em out others you might not catch a fish at all.Thats why they call it fishing and not catching lol. hope this helps it should. take it easy and God Bless
    Philippians 4:13