In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BP needs to get a move on!

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
This problem with the oil at over million gallons a day in the gulf of Mexico is a fishing disaster beyond compare...
BP needs to get together with the best minds of the world and fix this fast. Marine wildlife is as risk!

Comments

• gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    wpage.....right on! Maybe it is me, but BP seems to be moving at sloth-like speed. Or maybe they are not good with PR but until today I haven't heard how they are trying to either stop the flow (other than Plan A...the robots aren't working) or keep the oil from coming ashore. Maybe they have, and I try to keep up with my reading and Fox News, but I haven't heard of it. Today I heard of the caps they are planning to dome over the leaks. Weeks later? When I explained today to my 9yr old grandaughter what could happen to the birds, I had an emotional little * my hands before school. This could make the Exxon disaster look like an oil splot in my driveway!
    edited November -1
    I listened intently to Boone Pickens today talking about BP's effort to cap the holes in the pipe and the wellhead. Boone said it worked at 200' but at 5000'? He has his fingers crossed. So do I. Hope they have the right fix. But why are we waiting until the last minute to find a fix? Should have had a Plan A, B and C and so on. We have got to do better than this! Got to have the oil, just like we got to have the coal, but we need some real bright out of the box thinkers to come up the "what if's?" And the oil and coal companies should fund them. Can't let this happen again! 29+11+40 too many guys to sacrifice themselves just going to (and coming from) work!
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    posted in the other topic also.

People act like it has never happened before.

Check this out, I remember this, but the media has evidently forgotten or don't want to ruin a good story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good post. I understand the lessons learned from this were the Mexicans keep what the call sombrero rigs on barges for capping these potential disasters...
    Someone said that BP had made a multi million dollar campaign contribution to Obama and were given a exemption for any disaster contingency as a result.
    edited November -1
    wpage......wonder what BP's Plan B is now that Plan A got ice crystaled out? Why can't these guys get their heads together and come up with a plan to cap a deep well BEFORE they drill one so if they have a methane blowout they have a backup plan that works. Methane was the cause here, as it was in the mine in WV and the recent one in Russia. Got to figure out a way to contain it or deal with it when it goes IMHO.
    edited November -1
    Now BP is saying a bypass hole will be bored to intersect the existing blow hole. Oh my God! Help us...
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Now BP is saying a bypass hole will be bored to intersect the existing blow hole. Oh my God! Help us...

They are called "Relief Wells" and common practice to kill out of control blowouts, but they have to intersect original wellbore deep enough to do any good. Well control is governed by hydrostatic pressure.
    edited November -1
    wpage.....I am all for digging all the coal we have and drilling for all of our oil, either in Anwar or off the coast. No one wants to make us more independent from those that want to kill us and suck out our $...but these guys have got to get their acts together, Massey Energy, BP all the others. I don't want to hear about backup systems that don't work. How hard is it? Methane gas did both the mine explosion in WV and off LA on the rig. Don't need to waste millions on Presidential Commissions to learn of the reason. But what the hell are you going to do about it to make sure it doesn't happen again? That is the million dollar question! The BP well is still spilling out oil a month, a darn month, after the spill and they are still "working" the solution. Just not good enough as the Gulf Coast is starting to be ruined and the slick is heading for the Gulf Stream. Just like AZ, little LA is trying to solve the problem while BO has his finger in his rather wide ear. We should demand more of our officials and let some heads roll to get some attention.
    edited November -1
    Gary,
    You are so right. With the resources @ BP and the US Gov disposal this is inexcusable. Dont care how complicated it all is. This should have been worked out by the genius B4.
    If we put men on the moon in 69. They can put a lid on this leak!