In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does foul weather approach improve fishing?

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
The calm b4 Earls approach really had the fish jumping on my creek...

Do you think they sense it coming and load up B4 the blow?

Comments

• drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Barometric pressure affects it, but usually better just after the storm passes. Who knows with a major weather pattern like a hurricane. Might change that rule.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I caught some of my best messes just before storms. Too close to the storms I might add!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't know about before the storm, but if it is raining and windy I almost always catch fish- so long as it isn't gale force winds to really churn things up that is.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saltwater fishing is usually improved with the action you get with windy weather. Thanks for the feedback.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    In MN fish bite turns on right before storms. Don't know why but I have stayed out on the water longer than I should have more times than I care to remember because the fish were biting.
  • brianhunter123brianhunter123 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why heck yea it improves the fishin. Ive had slow days where the weather is perfect then a storm start to move in and the barometric pressure starts to drop and for some reason it turns the fish on. Ive had my best luck before,during, and after a storm but it slows down a little bit after the storm.Thats when you need to hit the creeks that flood into the lakes, thats where the bait fish will be. hope this helps. take it easy and God Bless
    Philippians 4:13
  • GAGunGalGAGunGal Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may depend on where you are, but I am in Georgia and yes right before a storm and right after one fishing greatly improves around here.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Here in N Florida it picks up just before a cold front moves thru... like we are expecting tonight or tomorrow.

Just caught 4 bass 1lb to 1.5lbs in 30 minutes during lunch....
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen this effect a number of times bass fishing. They can really turn on just as a sudden thunderstorm moves in and quit just as suddenly as it passes. Very dangerous time to be out in a boat due to the high winds and lightening.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck offshore in Florida, on a falling Barometer.Not so much on a rising Barometer but,better than a stable one.