In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recipes! Fish, wild game , anything!

317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in The Fishing Hole!
Hey guys, I know the fishing forum is pretty dead. I'm hoping to increase interest in in, have some people stopping in and contributing. Fishing as well as hunting is a great, American pastime.

"Most of the recipes I will post are guidelines only, and you should tweak, omit, add as you see fit"

Fish Cakes- Salmon, trout, or smoked fish are great in this. "Like crab cakes"
1 pound cooked, flaked fish meat
1/2 cup sauteed veg. onion, bell pepper, celery all good
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 TB mustard
1 tsp EACH Worchestershire sauce and lemon juice
2 TB mayo
2-3 dashes of Tabasco Sauce
salt and pepper to taste, about 1/2 tsp each.

Mix ingredients BY hand (keeps your flaked meat in large pieces) Form into 4-6 patties, refrigerate about 20 minutes (to keep shape), pan fry or broil, 4-5 minutes per side, until browned and hot inside.

Sauces for the above recipe, garlic mayo and roasted red pepper/garlic sauce

Garlic Mayo- 3/4 cup mayo
1 TB EACH minced garlic and Bermuda/Red onion
1 tsp EACH worchestershire and lemon juice
Salt, pepper to taste
dash of hot sauce, to taste
Combine all ingredients, let sit 1 hour or so (allows flavors to mingle) Great on burgers also. Sauce MAY TURN red from the onion, don't worry about it.

Roasted bell pepper/garlic sauce.
3-4 cup or so of fire roasted pepper(red or yellow)
5-6 roasted cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 TB vinegar
salt, pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in blender, puree' until smooth, allow to sit for an hour or so before use.

Comments

• 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grilled Squirrel Wings

2-4 large squirrels
    clean, skin and quarter squirrels. Pass quickly over stove-top flame to singe off stray hairs. Soak 4-6 hours, or overnight, in salted ice water.

Preheat your grill. Remove squirrel from fridge and cut quarters into individual pieces. Grill over medium heat about 20 minutes to one half hour, turning occasionally. Baste with your favorite BBQ/ wing sauce, grill 10 more minutes or so, until sauce is bubbly and wings appear well grilled and tasty.

Squirrel pot pie- this recipe is long so I will cut and paste. To substitute squirrel for chicken, clean your squirrels, and simmer in a large pot of water until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from pot, cool, and shred/dice meat. Very good and most people will not realize it is not chicken unless you tell them.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-chicken-pot-pie-10744
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gonna try the fish cakes this weekend. I make my own sauce with mayo, ranch, mustard, pickles and pickled jalapenos. don't really have a recipe, just kinda throw it together but I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks n keep em coming. more than happy to join you here in the fishing forum.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elk loin roast
    1 4-5 lb backstrap
    3 cups red wine
    2Tsp kosher salt
    1tsp rosemary
    1 tsp sage
    2Tsp coarse black pepper
    2Tsp garlic
    1 can cream of chicken
    1 cup fresh chopped mushrooms
    3 Tsp brown sugar

brown backstrap in bacon grease
    rub with salt rosemary,sage pepper and garlic
    place in oven at 300 for 1 hour
    combine wine, brown sugar and soup in sauce pan and bring to low boil. add remainder of dry ingrediants left over from rub and simmer for 5 minutes. add to roast and cook 30 minutes. add mushrooms and go another 30
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    works nicely with beef and lamb also, with pork add 1/3 the pepper and brown sugar
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, I'm trying out a new brine recipe for chicken on the grill or in the smoker. The second recipe is a dry rub, I'll post tonight the results.

1/2C Kosher Salt
    2T Paprika
    2T Gran. Garlic
    2T Gran. Onion
    2T Dry Thyme
    2T Black Pepper
    1C Vinegar (Any)
    1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Raw Sugar
    2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)
    1T Cayenne
    1T Gran. Garlic
    1T Gran. Onion
    1tsp Black Pepper
    1tsp Wht Pepper
    1tsp Allspice
    1tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning (optional)
    edited November -1
    Chicken Piccata

8 chicken cutlets, or 2-2.5 pounds butterflied breasts, pounded thin
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    2-3TB minced garlic.
    3/4C white wine
    1/2-3/4C chicken stock
    1TB lemon juice
    2TB capers, rinsed
    1 orange or lemon, sliced
    4-5 TB butter
    1C seasoned flour

Dredge in flour, cutlets/breastmeat, set aside. Heat large pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat. Add 1-3TB of butter and same amount olive oil.Brown floured chicken in pan, until brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside all chicken. Return pan to heat, add onion and extra butter, if needed, saute until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes, add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Deglaze pan with wine, scraping all brown bits from area of pan. Add chicken stock, lemon juice, capers, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in 1-2TB butter. Add chicken back to pan, arrange lemon/orange slices on top, let simmer for about 5 minutes until bubbly and frangrant. Tastes GREAT! and is very good over noodles or rice.

Herbed Rice recipe

1C rinsed rice
    2C chicken stock
    2TB butter
    1TB parsley

Combine all in rice cooker or sauce pan. In pan, bring to boil, turn heat to low, let simmer, covered, about 45 minutes. Fluff rice with fork and serve with above chicken recipe, covered with excess sauce.
    edited November -1
    Pork Chop marinade, Alton Brown recipe copy.

1 cup strong brewed, cool coffee
    6 ounces molasses, by weight, one half of 12 oz bottle
    2 TB apple cider vinegar
    1 TB dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    6-8 springs fresh thyme or 1TB dried thyme
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Marinade pork, at least two hours, up to overnight. After removing pork from marinade, bring remaining marinade to a boil in a small saucepan, until reduced about half, 12-15 minutes, stirring often.

Makes a great glaze or sauce for grilled pork. I am trying this tonight with a grilled pork loin.
    edited November -1
    Pickled Leeks/Ramps

Hey guys, leek season is almost over. I wanted to save some for the fall season, when I am desperate for a taste of spring. I will be canning some later this week also.

1 pound ramps (Allium tricoccum)
    1 cup water
    1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar or apple vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon kosher or other non-iodized salt
    1 small hot chile pepper, chopped or crushed (you can use fresh or dried)
    1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
    1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
    6 - 8 whole black peppercorns

Mix brine ingredients together, bring to a slight boil, turn off heat and set aside. Trim leeks, cut green leaves off and trim roots. You will be using the bulb only with a small bit of green at the top. Pack cleaned, rinsed leek bulbs into clean mason jars. I boil mine along with the tops and rims. Pack them in as tightly as possible. Once jars are filled, pour brine in, leaving 1/2"-3/4" headspace. Cap jars loosely and place into water bath/canning pot. Water should be level with the brine inside the jars. Bring water to boil and then simmer, 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit another 5-10 minutes. Remove and let cool 4-5 hours. Store in a cool, dark place for 4 weeks at least to develop flavor. Canned this way, leeks will last 1 year at least. Make sure your caps "suck in" the little pop-top button. Any that do not, use right away.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harvested many deer over the years. I don't like to add seasonings that make it taste like something it is not. Butchered it into steaks, chops and roasts (other then the loins and back straps) and the balance ground up with a portion of pork. Cooked the roasts in a slow cooker with "Apple Juice" and the usual onions, potatoes, carrots etc. REALLY tasted great with no apple taste what so ever. Even my daughters thought it was great[;)]