In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MINNOW TRAP

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
I bought a minnow trap and put it in a creek where I have seen minnows. I baited with bread and dog food. I left it in for a few days and checked it every day. No minnows. What is the problem?

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have always in the past made certain the opening was pointing up stream so the water flowed thru the opening. Also is the hole large enough for the minnows you have seen to go thru? Other than that you should be getting minnows in your trap.

I also used to have good luck in the bends of the creek in the deep part of the water.

Good luck.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try just bread.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hole may be too small. ( Never thought I would say that.)
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats what she said!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I always had good luck with dog food, as it won't dissolve as fast as bread. Usually had plenty of crawdads in the trap too.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mush up a bunch of worms with dry oatmeal and put a tennis ball size glob in the toe of a nylon stocking. Then use a pen knife to poke a bunch of holes in the stocking. Hang that in the middle of the trap and wedge the trap between a couple of good size rocks in a deep riffle keeping the open ends up/down stream.
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do the opposite. I use a fish head as bait and put it in a slow moving pool in a creek or any where in a lake. Works for me. Try to switch up your bait