In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

parasites in catfish

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited July 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
i was told be i cant remember who that these little yellow/white round things im seeing in the fish after i skin them were some kind of parasite. they seem to be more around the fins and bones then in the meat. anyone else see these and know what they are. i cleaned a good sized catfish (~2-2.5lbs) that had probably 10 of these friggin things that i cut off.

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    thanks for the link
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taste like chicken. [:D]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Every time someone comments on these little worms.....I have to ask where you are fishing? I've kept fish from Ohio, PA, VT, MI, NC, FL, and ME and have never seen a worm in one.

Safe or not, if I did, I'd probably feed it to the cat....sort of like drinking water from your toilet bowl. Might be safe, the dog does it, but that doesn't mean I want to.
  • farmer37farmer37 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Every time someone comments on these little worms.....I have to ask where you are fishing? I've kept fish from Ohio, PA, VT, MI, NC, FL, and ME and have never seen a worm in one.

Safe or not, if I did, I'd probably feed it to the cat....sort of like drinking water from your toilet bowl. Might be safe, the dog does it, but that doesn't mean I want to.
    These worms are the the begining of the fresh water mussel.I see them in Maine in yellow perch and bass in late summer.Pick them out with the point of your knife.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by farmer37
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

These worms are the the begining of the fresh water mussel.I see them in Maine in yellow perch and bass in late summer.Pick them out with the point of your knife.

yep pretty much. there just these small little yellow balls that seem to be found just under the skin either along he dorsal fin the other 2 stinging fins or tail. though i have found them a time or 2 inside the body cavity of the fish up along the spine. way i see it is fire cures all. cook it well enough and nothins gonna survive. catfish is to tasty to feed to a cat.