In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anything I need to know about trout?

GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
I have never been fishing specifically for trout. Is there anything specific that I should use or look at?

I was going to post this tonight as I was supposed to be leaving out on Sunday and check back in tomorrow. Just got a call that I am parked (apparently nobody or at least not enough people are buying gas) tomorrow so I am going to leave tomorrow.

There are a couple of lakes in the area that I am going to be fishing in and one apparently only has trout in it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope this gets to you in time...
    Generally, trout look up when feeding. If you're trolling you'll want your gear passing a couple feet over their heads. Same idea if you're casting lures.
    Are you fishing from a boat or the bank?
    If a boat, do you have a depth finder on it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your response Neo. I got up early this morning still have some packing to do and errands to run. Thought I would check this before I started and one more time before I leave.

I have a boat with a depth/fish finder (never really seems to help with the fish part).

Is there anything in particular that you would suggest as far as lures and/or bait? I have my grandfathers tackle box he had jars and jars of trout stuff that you ball up and put on a hook so I figured I would try some of that but other than that I am lost.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to troll with Rapala lures or Rebel crawdad lures. As far as using bait, good ol' worms or Powerbait work good. If they're feeding on the surface you can tie on a torpedo bobber and about 4' of leader and a fly of some type. Good luck! Sounds like a fun weekend!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Plans never seem to work out right. I had planned to be gone from here about 3 hours ago. Still here but leaving in an hour.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. If I catch any do you clean them the same as any other fish, or is there something different I need to do?

If you I don't catch this before I leave thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little late, but the one thing I always advocate is to use "small" lures ..or bait! the biggest trout I got (23 1/2" german brown) was with an single salmon egg on a #10 bait hook
  • Options
    Jaxx12Jaxx12 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When fishing for trout on streams you can float worms down through the rapids. They also take many lures - small rapala lures work great. The most fun is to use a fly rod - fly tying is a great winter time hobby. A website that shows may of the classic fly patterns is www.traderscreek.com/Fishing/Fly_Fishing/Fly_Patterns_Index.asp

On lakes we use fish finders and troll about 1 1/2 miles per hour.
    Worm harness' and various lures all work so long as you are at the right depth.