In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Surf casting

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited January 2013 in The Fishing Hole!
I have been one time, years ago for a few hours. Did not know what I was doing. Trying to fix my schedule to go in a few weeks for blues on the Outer banks. Hopefully will be a bit better prepared this time.
Any advice most appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been up a couple of times.Ask at some of the local tackle shops. The folks up there are very friendly.Be sure to use sand spikes and set your drag. It's easy to lose a rod.They have stripers and bull reds that will take you rod if it's just propped on thr tailgate or beach chair.Good luck.
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Be careful if you are driving on the beach. it is expensive to get towed out and AAA won't cover it.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redfishbob
    We have been up a couple of times.Ask at some of the local tackle shops. The folks up there are very friendly.Be sure to use sand spikes and set your drag. It's easy to lose a rod.They have stripers and bull reds that will take you rod if it's just propped on thr tailgate or beach chair.Good luck.
    Thank's Bob!
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam
    Be careful if you are driving on the beach. it is expensive to get towed out and AAA won't cover it.
    Ya, I been stuck! Air them down to 20 lbs, wish I had known that on the first trip out. A local with a Land Rover bailed me out on that one!
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the triangle sinkers for a better stay in the tides and currents.

Best to make a stop in a local shop for tips and best bait for the period. Squid and clams usually best bets.
  • jednorrisjednorris Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently fished Oregon Inlet with massive waves and a # 8oz. pyramid sinker would not hold. I discovered everyone else was using a #4 oz. "Storm Sinker". It has four folding wires that dig into the sand and reverse when you pull on it for easy retrieval. They run about $3.50 - 4.00 ea. but we do not lose many rigs in the Surf.
    Jed
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I fish the SC/NC coast frequent and I use 30# spectra for line. It is about the size of 8# and is not effected by the waves as much as mono. I use custom made 12' rods with Penn Squidders, yes I am old school, and the spectra. I rarely use more than 4oz sinkers.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Blues = wire leaders.