In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ASA in vietnam/loas

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone out there in the ASA, served in southeast asia?

Comments

• blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jaegermister....you might try a PM to 32 Magnum..........

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=361422

max
  • Bill BowersBill Bowers Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ramassun Station - Nonsoon Thailand - just outside of Udorn.
    1974-75
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there! 1968. They just finished the huge circular array, below the center. Can you tell me anything about the base?
  • arkie5438arkie5438 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, 8th RRFS, Phu Bai, RVN 1970=71, 8th RRFS Ramasan Station,Udorn, Thailand, 1972, 05D30
    edited November -1
    I was lucky enough to stay at the newly constucted base at Udorn 7thRR. A resort. 32D20mos. Ever go back? What is there today?
    edited November -1
    As far as I know the 7th RRFS was closed down shortly after the pull out in Vietnam, a shame as it was mostly new construction, very nice barracks. The large round antenna array was for my MOS 05D direction finding, The DF net was Udorn, Chang Mai, Phu Bai, Ubon, Saigon, Philipines, and maybe another site, been a long time. I ETS'd from trhe 7th in 1972.
    edited November -1
    I would like to go back someday, and revisit a small village Kon Kane about 30 km away from Udorn, the town is on a man made platform dock with a lake surrounded by the rest of the town, very remote isolated,good place to retire.
    edited November -1
    I liked Thailand and its people and wouldn't mine visiting but as to living there, I don't know anyone there, so I'll pass and stay here in the Ozarks where family is!
    edited November -1
    One day in Udorn I found an old store that was full of turn of the century big game hunting accessories such as pith helmets,ammo belts,tiger hunting equipment etc.....darn I wish i had bought everything!
  • airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8thRRFS PhuBai RVN 71-72. Anybody there during that period I was CO of A Company. 1SG Beattie & I were proud of the unit and mission accomplished.
  • ratkillingdogratkillingdog Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    MACV 509th 95B Combat MP. Mostly Davis Station. 72 73.
  • kerkkerk Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister

Tried to, but they wouldn't let me. Finished O5H school at Devens in December 70. They came in with everyone's orders and the E7 said they hated to disappoint anyone who wanted to go to Nam, but 'no one' was going. He said they tried to compensate by putting those who wanted, as close as possible, so I had orders for Udorn. Apparently the withdrawal was already planned, and they weren't sending anymore ops.

My Udorn orders lasted about 3 weeks, until I got back from 2 weeks Christmas leave. When I signed in, the CQ said I had new orders. In two days, me and two other guys were on our way to Vint Hill Farms Virginia where I spent the next 6 months scanning for traffic off tape recordings sent from NAM.

Go figure.
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm, Thailand. Reminds me of a buddy I had when stationed at Ft. Benning in 1968. He'd been stationed in Thailand and absolutely loved the country, always talked about it. He submitted a request to go back there, but told he did not have enough time left in army to be sent back. Tried to find a job with a company in Thailand, but no luck. He so badly wanted to return to Thailand, he reupped just to go back.

The day after he had reupped, the company first sergeant called him in and gave him travel orders for reassignment to Thailand. Seems the first sergeant had been holding the travel orders in his desk for several days, waiting for him to reup, before giving him the orders. Egads!!!!
  • oldvetoldvet Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arrived in Vietnam in June '71, 98C20, went to Phu Bai until Oct.'71 & then north to the 407th RRD at Quang Tri. Spent most of the time as an RTO on A-4 until we were overan on March 31, 1972. Left RVN in late April '72 for Ft.Hood, TX. Hated Ft. Hood so bad that I returned to Viet Nam in Oct. '72. Stationed w/8th RRFS at DaNang w/side trip to Hue for a few months. Left RVN in Feb. '73 for Udorn, Thailand - 7th RRFS. ETS'd out of Udorn in Aug. '73. I don't think I worked in my MOS more that a couple days during my entire 3-year enlistment.

I wouldn't trade my military experience for anything. Left a couple of good buddies behind in Vietnam when they were killed on LZ Sarge in March, '72. God rest their souls and the other brave men and women who were killed while serving their country.
  • grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh my god! Just stumbled acc. this and had chills up my spine! Ramassun Station - Nonsoon 1969 and 1970 A long long time ago, still a few of us left, huh?
  • rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phu Bai is alright
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rudyj, you mentioned Phu Bai. I was ASA up at Chitose, Hokkaido, Japan. We were normal 2 year tours there, but we would get in short tour guys from Phu Bai and Shemya Island. I was at Chitose 63-65. Flew over Phu Bai in December 1974 in a chopper from Da Nang to Hue. Phu Bau at that time was in the bad guys hands already.
  • dersequimdersequim Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW: Any stationed at Linkou AS, Taiwan. Like the AF Troops, IT WAS the best KEPT secret as far as a place to be, in the Far East.
  • ElbertsonElbertson Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was station at Ramasun from Apr.75 - May 76. I was one of the last stationed there...I believe by the end of June it was totally vacated of US personnel and handed over to the Thais. I'm not sure what was left behind, but I have a pretty good idea what wasn't. In April of that year it was technically signed over and the US flag came down for the last time. As an MP, I was somewhat honored to paticipate in the final flag lowering, along with Col. Howard and two other MPs. Returning stateside, I was assigned to the 303rd, which was at Ft. Hood at the time. By mid 1977, the 303rd was renamed the 522nd MI Bn (CEWI) and ASA had ceased to exist, although I believe there were still a couple units that may have used ASA in their names still for awhile.
  • harley bissellharley bissell Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was stationed with ASA as a 98G2FVN in the 1st Radio Research Company (Aviation) at Cam Ranh Bay from 30 Sep 1971 until the unit stood down in late March 1972. I was away on 7 & 7 and reassigned to 138th Aviation Company (Radio Research), Phu Bai signing in 31 March 1972 at the start of the Second Tet. We covered Quang Tri when the remnants of the 5th Division began a two week retreat hauling out their wounded. I recall that the NVA attacked across border with 12 or 13 tanks and we tracked and killed all of them. I also recall the death of the salt and pepper team of turncoats. The NVA made it very easy to keep score. Whenever our forces annihilated a unit down to less than 10% strength they were pulled out for resupply and reinforcements and came back with a different designation. An example would be the 137th Guards Regiment would be called 137C and then disappear for awhile and come back as 137D. There was one unit with lousy radio security that got three bumps in less than six months. Some folks do not know that the first american killed in the vietnam was was an ASA named Davis in Saigon and Davis Station was named for him. Harley Bissell
  • cbr121943cbr121943 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ASA 8th RRFS, Phu Bai. Military Police 71-2. Carl B. Robertson. Have put most of it to the rear. Transfered from 101 Airborn Camp Evans, Phong Dein.
  • oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    175th USASA Operations Co, 303rd Bn., 509th Group, II Field Force Vietnam Combat Command, Bien Hoa, 3/69 - 3/70.

One of the "top 10%" for sure, ha ha