In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does your uniform still fit?

woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
edited December 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
I still have a set of "dress blues". I think I'm about 50 lbs heavier than I was in 1970.

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no....way!
    from the 70's that is.
    but i can still get in my uniform from 97 when i retired though!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Yes it does. I'm the same weight as I was when I joined the Army in 1967. [:)] Have never been able to gain any weight even when I try.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I came back from Vietnam for discharge in 1968, I weighed 145 pounds. Since then, I have put on fifty-two pounds of rock solid muscle.[;)]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I used to say thet I could still wear two items of my blues. The hat, and the socks. Found out about 15 years ago, even the hat no longer fits.[V]
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came back to the world weighing 150 lbs.
    Since then I have added 10 or 40 lbs.
    Not a fighting chance.
  • DustyDecoyDustyDecoy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can still get into the uniform that I retired in in '91 but I had to sew the buttons on with piano wire. If they ever give, someones gonna die. I weigh just a bit more than I did in 1969 but Then I was 9 feet tall and bullet proof, Ive just schrunk a bit
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The covers still fit, nothing else. The blues were donated to the MCA, but I still have a fatigue OD cover.
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not on a bet! [:(!]
  • BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not quite ! [8D]
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like DWS....What he ment was rock solid "Table Muscle"...
    I doubt I could get a leg in...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Lets see, Hummmm 17, 18, 19, 20 years of age? 52? Nope [8D]
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Probably the most honest responses to a post on GunBroker that I have ever read.[;)]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not with 70 lbs more body size... LOL. I can't get the arms down the sleeves even. Even when swimming a mile a day I had no chance of doing it(got down to 225). I was 175 getting out and 245 now.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Because I am a Marine my uniform will always fit, I wear it on my heart and in my soul.

Whether or not the garment in my possession will cover all of my body is a whole other story...
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote: I got out in 1968 .... and very sadly ....the uniform SHRUNK while hanging in the closet! Same thing happened at my place. Darn shame, too.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    quote: I got out in 1968 .... and very sadly ....the uniform SHRUNK while hanging in the closet! Same thing happened at my place. Darn shame, too.

Funny how that occurs-my post still applies nontheless
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    not a chance while in country i weighed less than i did in the 8th. grade. since i came back to the world i growed some.
  • divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since my waist size and chest sized changed places over the years
    there's no way I could get in a set of uniforms. still wear a size
    9 boot though.
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with divecop, boots still fit..... the rest....ain't no way.
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but it will. I am workinhg HARD at losing the weight!
  • alaska 207alaska 207 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually yes it does. Went in 1968 out in 1977. The trousers are a little snug but my Blues Blouse fits just like a glove. Being able to fit in those trousers has been my Neutra System for 29 years, and if they would let me I would be buried in Blues.
  • jocko007jocko007 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't even begin to get into my greens. My leg won't fit in the waist band. When I went into the Marine Corps in 1969, I had just graduated from High School. I stood 5' 8" and weighed about 130 pounds. I was discharged shortly after returning home from VietNam in 1973, and was about 10 lbs lighter than when I went across the pond. God I wish I could get into my old uniform. That just ain't happening.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey- my dogtags still fit perfectly!!!
  • sunvalesunvale Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mess dress and blues were worn by me to both of my daughters commissioning. I do not smoke any longer, drink a little less and work out. Fellows, we are dying at 1000+ a day and I try not to be one of them. Do your self a favor and take care of your self.
    Peter
    Nam 67-68-69
  • saltysquidsaltysquid Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not even Remotely.:)
  • Hawkeye256Hawkeye256 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    New to the forum and "welcome home" to all of you...I plan to wear my dress blues next weekend to honor a lifelong friend's retirement from active duty and the Guard. He's built 37 years. I managed 3yrs, 11 mo, 12 days.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, from top to bottom. 1970 to 2006 and still wear same size.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkeye256
    New to the forum and "welcome home" to all of you...I plan to wear my dress blues next weekend to honor a lifelong friend's retirement from active duty and the Guard. He's built 37 years. I managed 3yrs, 11 mo, 12 days.

Welcome Hawkeye256! Glad to have you aboard![;)]
  • sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After serving two tours of duty in Nam and having survived two major tet offenses I returned to the states and got discharged. I loaded my car with all of my belongings including my uniforms and a lot of "precious" artifacts and parked at my girl friend's apartment to leave from Ohio back to Georgia the next morning. During the night my car was broken into by a carload of - I'll just call them "juveniles"; anyway, everything that I owned in the world was stolen from me. I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth. It would be nice to see those uniforms to remind me how thin and in-shape I was back then. 5' 8", 130 lbs (1967) vs. 5' 10", 315 lbs (2006).
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can still get my socks on.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Boots still fit fine.
  • joseph konkoljoseph konkol Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My tie still fits.