In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm ashamed of the sixties and seventies

BigoledudeBigoledude Member Posts: 39
edited November 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
I remember the riots and demonstrations. A flower-child teacher hating me because I played football. I graduated in 1972.

During that time it was fashionable to hate the men of the military. But, every time I would see a soldier in uniform, I would feel so proud for him and of him. It's almost like I was expected to opposed them but, I just couldn't bring myself to join the world in their contempt of these heroes.

As I got older I would approach every service-man in uniform I saw and wish the best for him and thank him for what he was doing.

Now, the gratitude and respect I have for these young people nearly overwhelms me when I meet them. If this sounds over-dramatic, so-be-it.

My wish is for many blessings for you great men who served in Viet Nam! My four sons are grown now and, I never missed an opportunity, as they were growing up, to tell them as much as I know about the magnitude of y'all's service and sacrifices.

I am now teaching the oldest of my 10 grand children about these heroes in uniform. God bless and keep each and every one of you!

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bigoledude. For the most part, we know the anger and disapproval was towards the war and not towards the soldiers. Still, your remarks are appreciated.
  • sgc_1sgc_1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First let me say thanks.
    I am a former Marine, served from 1969 to 1973. I enjoyed some pretty good duty and I am thankful for that. Early in 1972 my entire unit deployed to DaNang,SVN. I was attached to the 3rd MAW(Marine Airwing). Our unit flew air support and cover to help the remaining ground forces stuck behind the DMZ after Nixon pulled everyone out. That time in VN was pretty hectic and unpredictable and we were being rocketed and sniped at daily and constantly under threat of being over run by the north.
    I enlisted in the Marine Corp because serving my country in the greatest fighting force on earth was a personal best for me, but I also came to realize that anyone who was and/or is in the miltary whether drafted or enlisted has sworn an oath to this country and has given there life to this country for the term of their service. I still believe the United States is the greatest country on the face of the earth but we didn't get here because we were always right, it's been a hard road and will continue to be. War may not always be the correct path but knowing that there are men like you who understand that even if the wars seem unjust, the people who serve still deserve respect and thanks for the sacrifices they made makes me proud of my part.
    Thanks again and Semper Fi.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those $#%&*@*%s in beads and flowers may have been against the war, but they spit on us. I for one did not take it impersonally.

I fought and killed my enemies in Vietnam, but I didn't hate them. I hated the hippies. As it turns out, with good reason. The $^#@*%s are now in Congress.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.