In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My Brothers ride late 60's

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
Well, he was in the Navy. What can I say. I was in the Corps. My younger brother went into the Army. We diversified.

U.S.S. Hancock.

How many of ya'll rode this old gal. I know she carried a boatload of memories.
dsc00068i.jpg

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here was my ride. Not this individual one, but one like it. The O-2A, otherwise known as Oscar Deuce, Oscar Duck, Ruptured Duck, Cessna Sky Pig, Mixmaster, and some names not as complimentary!

o2inflight.jpg
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Here was my ride. Not this individual one, but one like it. The O-2A, otherwise known as Oscar Deuce, Oscar Duck, Ruptured Duck, Cessna Sky Pig, Mixmaster, and some names not as complimentary!

o2inflight.jpg

You lucky stiff!!![;)]
  • rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my rides Nha Trang 66-67, just know as Easy and Dog.
    Easy_Dog.jpg
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hmmm, the pics of those two planes, easy and dog, reminds me that is plane that flew me from Saigon to Dong Tam, home of 9th Divison headquarter, where I will stay for a week or two before being assigned to the 2/47th Mech. Inf. at Bien Phouc.
    edited November -1
    Jim, we always said we were glad to have that second engine, because if one failed, the other one would fly you all the way to the crash site!

Rivet, you have any hearing left at all after being in C-123s? I jumped several hops in them, and was always left stunned by the roar of the two recips and those two aux jets. Lord! I also watched once as little tiny windows magically appeared in the wall opposite me while on final in one of them. It was mesmerizing watching those little dots of sunlight appear - until I started wondering what path the bullets were on before or after ...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by huffmanite
    hmmm, the pics of those two planes, easy and dog, reminds me that is plane that flew me from Saigon to Dong Tam, home of 9th Divison headquarter, where I will stay for a week or two before being assigned to the 2/47th Mech. Inf. at Bien Phouc.

Maybe, but not likely they were specialized mission aircraft, unless you were part of the Detachment.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Jim, we always said we were glad to have that second engine, because if one failed, the other one would fly you all the way to the crash site!

Rivet, you have any hearing left at all after being in C-123s? I jumped several hops in them, and was always left stunned by the roar of the two recips and those two aux jets. Lord! I also watched once as little tiny windows magically appeared in the wall opposite me while on final in one of them. It was mesmerizing watching those little dots of sunlight appear - until I started wondering what path the bullets were on before or after ...

HUH, WHAT!! We didn't have the jets, just the recips. It was not hearing them that worried me. They were loud, but you got used to them and your right the skin was thin but the floor was thick and they alway broght us home sooner or later.
    edited November -1
    I looked closer and what I thought were the usual jet pods in your photo are drop tanks. You must've rolled light - or really long, LOL!

I'm with ya. My job was so classified, even we didn't knew what we were doing! (More truth than humor in that, too.)
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Landing on PSP is/was? a trip. On the 123's it was neat watching the mains extend prior to landing. Made the mistake of leaning over to take a look down at the wheel (I was sitting nearby), and got a faceful of burned rubber smoke in my kisser when it touched down. Best, Joe
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Here was my ride.

jungle_boots.jpg
  • korsakovkorsakov Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in the Marine Corps and on my first tour from 1970 to 1971 we loaded many of the C-123's. They were horrible to load because we had no special handling equipment for them. They were a work horse and did a great job.

quote:Originally posted by rivethook

Maybe, but not likely they were specialized mission aircraft, unless you were part of the Detachment.
  • korsakovkorsakov Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by korsakov
    I was in the Marine Corps and on my first tour from 1970 to 1971 we loaded many of the C-123's. They were horrible to load because we had no special handling equipment for them. They were a work horse and did a great job.

quote:Originally posted by rivethook