In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FAKES & WANNABEES

IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
I`ve run into a dozen or more in the last 10 years and they wear me out! The fake POW`s are the worst! When you call them on it, they bow up and lie even more! Anyone else have them in their AO? Charlie

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I run into them all of time, and we've run into them here. I've learned to just call them by questions they can't answer, and a deep stare into their eyes. They usually drop it and disappear.

Best one was a Marine (NOT) who took 18 weeks of basic training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.[}:)]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there was the shoe salesman that had been with the 101st Special Forces. The EX-Marine (his term, not mine) that was wounded in Iraq, but had no idea what an MRE was (daughter sent that one packing 5 minutes after they met.) For the ones that tell me they were assigned to the Green Berets in Viet Nam, but were really assassins for the CIA, I just tell them I don't remember seeing them at any of the meetings. Special Forces Team House website has the "Hall of Shame" for wannabees.
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    I was at through Ft.Sill in `66-`67 for AIT. Only took 8 weeks, and they didn`t have any Basic Tng. there back then. Hey, 11br, are you a member of the SFA? I know a few of them here in Arkansas!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ironrifle- nope. Ranger (11B6R MOS) Got a bunch of friends that are, have spent time handing out at JFK Center, but not SF. Now, my GRANDSON....[:p]
  • Jimboak47Jimboak47 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ironrifle
    I also did advanced AIT at Fort Sill in 67, Tank mech. then back to Fort Carson Co. 5th Mec HHC 2/11Inf then to Nam.
    Jimboak47
    RVN 67-69,71-72

quote:Originally posted by Ironrifle
    I was at through Ft.Sill in `66-`67 for AIT. Only took 8 weeks, and they didn`t have any Basic Tng. there back then. Hey, 11br, are you a member of the SFA? I know a few of them here in Arkansas!
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy I work with says he was in the Army special Forces for 6years in Vietnam. Used to get high while he was getting shot at. Seen guys shoot themselves in the foot to get out.....

He even has a peice of shrapnel left in his right arm. But where's the scar? And no Purple Heart.

He's the biggest liar/full of crap a ss hat I've ever known. He went off on some innocent young woman at work, made her cry and he brags about it. Spent time in Michigan City for beating the crap out of his wife through a divorce.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • golf311golf311 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've run across many guys that claim to be Nam Vets...For some reason many claim to be LRRP's or SF. I know they are lying. Hell, where were all the cooks, bakers, clerks, what have you? Another guy I worked with was a clerk at Than Son Nhut AFB...the only time he got out of the compound was to go to the skivvy house....always claimed to be out in the bush, when questioned he claimed they brought him out to the bush to guard prisoners. Another guy who is at the VFW claims to be a sniper, killed people in Panama, fought hand to hand with the North Koreans in the tunnels, you name it...he has seen more combat than the whole group together...what a phony.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a Navy guy, it seems everyone I meet used to be a SEAL...
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Being a Navy guy, it seems everyone I meet used to be a SEAL...

They're coming out of the woodwork these days.

I've come up with a mathematic equation to help determine the level of BS on many topics, including this one.

Determine the number of drinks they've had and multiply that by the number of hot chicks in the vicinity who wouldn't otherwise give them a second glance.

J(agoff)X B(eers) X H(ot)C(hicks)= WBS (Wannabe Seal).
    It's been pretty accurate, as far as I can tell.
  • golf311golf311 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I forgot about that one...a ton of guys claim to be Seals too, met two of them one night in a joint. Found out later that neither one had even been in the service. Seals, LRRPS, SF, Spooks, wonder why they do that? Like I said, wonder where all the clerks, bakers, cooks, and the life guards on China Beach went to? Hey, I do know a guy, grew up with him, that was a medical equipment repairman in the Nam. And that's what he told everybody that he was! Donnie deserved a medal for that one...one honest guy. Not one commando story in the bunch for that boy...he did wonder how in the hell he got that MOS though!
    Golf311
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by golf311
    Yeah, I forgot about that one...a ton of guys claim to be Seals too, met two of them one night in a joint. Found out later that neither one had even been in the service. Seals, LRRPS, SF, Spooks, wonder why they do that? Like I said, wonder where all the clerks, bakers, cooks, and the life guards on China Beach went to? Hey, I do know a guy, grew up with him, that was a medical equipment repairman in the Nam. And that's what he told everybody that he was! Donnie deserved a medal for that one...one honest guy. Not one commando story in the bunch for that boy...he did wonder how in the hell he got that MOS though!
    Golf311

Rumor has it that the guy I mentioned earlier was a clerk. I forgot to mention he tried out for the Indiana Pacers, in a scrimmage one day he held Larry Bird to 3 points. He's 5'9".
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Hot TunaHot Tuna Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my son took history in high school the teacher asked if anyone in the room had a parent who served in VN. He was the only one who raise his hand. I'l bet there were a few kids whose parents did serve in VN and they didn't know it. Combat vets usually don't like to talk about it, even with each other.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just reading a couple days ago that more people claim to have served in Vietnam than were actually in the military during the entire period of the war.

SNAFU
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    It's quite in vogue now to be a Vietvet= There's something like 10 times the number claiming to be vets than the total. I haven't seen a number, and there are various MOSs or branches that are the big deal- recently the deal to have been was a SEAL- There's probably a factor of 10 thousand that claim SEALhood compared to those that actually were.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I have an uncle who said he was a Navy Seal in 'nam...he was really and electrition in the navy and he said he was wounded...but guess what no purple heart or anything
  • OlympicArmsFanOlympicArmsFan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi all thank you for your service to our country. I have to say I find a lot of fakes. I have never served and due to health would never be able to. I busted a guy at work saying he was in SF. I asked what he did and he tried to tell me about jumping out of plains and what it was called. I had to correct him on it and that he had it wrong. He started to give me a hard time and I told him I was and am a military history buff. He quite work the next day. He couldnt keep up with his lies. I just got tired of hearing about all he did and how good he was with his hands. The guys at work knew Im a military history buff. So I called him out in front of everyone even a few Vietnam vets. I wish I could remember now what he said, I had a stroke four years ago and I dont remember it all.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Where in country? What m.o.s.? What outfit? Where did you take A.I.T.? That stops most of the B.S.[:D]
    2/1 A Cav 68-69
  • SLEEPWALKERVSLEEPWALKERV Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEAH,SEALS SEEM TO BE THE FLAVOR OF THE MONTH,IT USED TO BOTHER ME BUT ALL THINGS TEND TO MELLOW WITH AGE.THE 3 "QUESTIONS" DOES SEEM TO WEED EM OUT N THE BAR.ALSO WHAT PLANE THEY JUMPED.
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're out there, alright. I've seen, heard and talked to dozens over the past 37 years. My favorite was a * at work who told anybody who he could corner all about his service (he said he was in the Army Security Agency) in Viet Nam, how he was issued a silenced 1911, a knife that "made Rambo's look like a tooth pick, and a cyanide pill to take if he was captured. He also talked about his experiences during "TET". Turns out he didn't know I was ASA, and had been over but I was never issued all that fancy equipment. He told me his dates in country and by golly he would have left RVN before the Tet offensive - when I called him on it, he said that he was talking about the 1967 TET offensive. I then called him on all the other crap he had been talking about. The best part of the whole event was that I got to fire him a couple weeks later for unrelated incidents.
  • Tom MilitanoTom Militano Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I met a wannabe that claimed he had been in the Air Force and was Marine Recon qualified, Claimed it was required of all Air Force personnel. That was the last time I set foot in the American Legion. I also met a Navy SeeBee that claimed all SeeBee's went through basic at Parris Island. I told him I went through Parris Island and there were no SeeBee's going through basic there. I was in the US Marine Corps from 1959 to 1963 and the US Army from 1963 to 1979.
  • buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw this topic and I wanted to show you all a copy of a letter that I saved in my files from awhile back. It was sent to a forum much like this one. It pretty well sums up this topic.
    (Start of Letter)
    I was in Nam in '69 as an MRF skipper. I was wounded and sent home after much political finagling by my wife, who had no idea if I was dead or alive.
    I resumed my Navy career, and after awhile had pretty well gotten over the trauma of what I had experienced in country. I would every so often relate some of the different actions I had been involved in to my close friends, never dreaming what would happen.
    My closest friend (at the time) would continually prompt me for more details about what I saw and did over there, and with the help of a few beers, I told him things that I thought were in confidentiality. I gave him a picture of a PBR in a firefight that I was given from the ship I was on at the time, because I wasn't attached to TF-116, but I thought he would enjoy it.
    One day at his house, I was walking past where he had hung this picture, and I heard him say"This was my boat in Nam". I couldn't believe what I had heard, and chalked it up to a little too much partying.
    A couple of days later, I was told that he was telling everyone at the local Moose Lodge of his different experiences in Nam, and he and his wife shortly had nothing more to do with us socially. I was very hurt at having my so-called "best friend" ignoring me. He eventually was elected governor of the lodge, and all the while kept up the charade. Our remaining friends finally saw the light, and kept us appraised of his antics. He and his wife subsequently moved to northern California, where I was told he got himself elected to a post in a Veteran's club.
    I know for a fact that he was never in-country Viet Nam, and how he could throw away a friendship, and I thought we had a good one, for the only purpose of creating a false senario is a real mystery to me.
    Is this an isolated case, or are there others who are doing this?
    (End of letter)
    buttplate
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's amazing how many fakes you run into. I was a four year Ranger in the 1st/BN. I went through SF scuba school in the summer of '83. 'Taint nuthin' like BUDS! I went to Grenada...the Rangers were there for four days...the first four.
    Anyhow, my mom takes a trip down to Texas where my grandmother lived at the time and on the plane home she sits next to this guy that says he was a Seal and was on Salinas Point before us Rangers ever got there. There were Seals on Grenada before we got there...just not on Salinas Point. Says the mission was so secret they never let us know they were there...Whatever, I quit fighting it.

Had a 1SG, who was my 1SG in Grenada, say he was a POW in VN in JAN of '71? for ten days. He had a chest full of ribbons...the full salad bar we call it. Anyhow, someone stepped forward and said no way is it true. He is now being chased by the prosecutors of the Stolen Valor Act. Too bad more morons can't figure out the truth.

On the opposite side, I have a co-worker who thinks he is above military service. Says the conflict in the middle-east is the absolutely necessary...then turns around and disses servicemembers. He is a wannabe manager. He got there by doing all the corporate things...backstabbing, blame-gaming etc. He is someone I have force myself to keep from kicking his * on sight.
  • Tom MilitanoTom Militano Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior I met a man that claimed he scaled the cliffs on Iwo Jima with the Rangers to disable the GERMAN guns!! This was in a VFW. I don't belong there or the American Legion either. I'm a life member of the DAV and a couple of other Military associations, but no social clubs where 10% are wannabees. I spent 4 years in the USMC and 16 years in the US Army.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom,

The total fakers are almost laughable. The ones that really dig down in me are the guys who pretty much had a good record and then have to go off on some BS like they did some mission that only five ever went on. My 1SG in Grenada was one and we had a PSG in our company(not mine) that had this poison dart story like he was a mercenary when he was fifteen in the jungles of South America. He was an outstanding PSG otherwise! but he was into doing the hokey comic book hero stuff to make it look like he was tougher. We were standing in chow line one day and he comes along and says he wants a raw hamburger. Funny as the chow sergeant and I had just finished talking about the many reasons to cook meat, ESPECIALLY hamburger, properly. It's the microbes ...no matter how tough you are or not squeamish, nothing you can do to kill them except cook them...LOL.
    Knew about some O-types that were as bad. The whole reason I ended up in the Rangers was I read this story of this SF Col. who made a demonstration in front of a bunch of guys about how to take a knife away from someone(his driver). Anyhow he gets his hand cut really bad. Three years later I'm going through the SF scuba school and some of the guys there knew about this incident. Turns out the driver had a good day...then a real bad year(reassigned). The Col was kind of known for that kind of stuff and wasn't in good mood when it went south on him. Some guys heroics got them pretty far and others it got them buried in a backwater job that barely left them able to retire as an 0-4. I thought it was politics at first but looking back I really see the major wasn't really moveable to the next level. His staff/command job really was about as high overall as he was able to handle.
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys, how damn true. Even though I am a old WW 2 Vet who served as a just plain Rifleman in a Division (3rd Inf) which had the highest casualties in WW 2 in both ETO and PTO I have run across the same damn thing MANY years ago. When you get down to it only about 1 in 15 vets has ever fired one round in anger . I lasted about 4 months in the VFW
    with all the "combat talking" then left. Just for the hell of it check out the casualties and notice the top 10 plus were just damn plain
    ground pounding Infantry divisions. 2/3 of all KIA were just plain Infantry "ground pounders" like myself. Granted, all did their jobs,
    but we took the brunt of casualties in the Infantry.
  • SLEEPWALKERVSLEEPWALKERV Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN!!!.................GOD BLESS THE INFANTRY.............THE QUEEN OF BATTLE!!!! AMEN
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was in wichita last week & a guy around 60??? had on a ball cap said wounded veteran, purple heart pic on it....first i have ever seen that....just wondered
  • overo88overo88 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    and... I read some in the forums, tufa-lucka GI, You numba 1, I love you no S**T take me america.

dug out my old combat history report today;
    Deckhouse I, 18 june-27 june 1966.
    DECKHOUSE II & Nathen Hale, 28 june-02 july 1966, Heavy kill ratio Vs USMC wounded/KIA
    COLORADO 5 aug- 15 aug 65, hard one and cost a lot of good marines.
    Jackson, 27 Aug- 30 Aug 65 another hard one.
    NAPA, 4 Sept. 15 Sept.
    SWIFT Sept 66

A few more, plus the ambushes, OP, LP, baby sitting hills outside Chu-Lie for a month. Checking ID's in rice paddies within 2 clicks of chu-lie on a near daily basis. the rest is bunker watches or go to town to drink a beer.
  • Gdt928Gdt928 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served in the 82d Abn (Bravo 1/505 and CSC 1/508) from 72-76, although I did not go to VN.

I still run into "combat vets" who went on dangerous, clandestine missions that can't be verified because "the records had been destroyed in the St. Louis fire". Hah!

Funniest thing I remember was a guy in the 1/508 that had "awarded" himself all types of qualifications -- CIB, Scuba School, Recondo, Pathfinder, you name it, he wore the badge. Trouble was, the CO checked out his records and found them all FAKE. That young Spec 4 spent some time in the stockade for that one.

One thing I do know about guys who served in combat - they don't yap about it. It is a singular experience.

Thanks to all you guys that did serve in combat. In VietNam, and everywhere else. I salute you. All The Way,
  • Flyin_PaulieFlyin_Paulie Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't belong to the VFW or other outfits like that. If I want to hear stories from wanna-be types, I just go to any bar. I've heard some really wild, laughable stories there.
    I was 9 years Navy and spent 3 years flying off the birdcages at Yankee Station 1961-1964.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    was in wichita last week & a guy around 60??? had on a ball cap said wounded veteran, purple heart pic on it....first i have ever seen that....just wondered

Those are available at a lot of military supply companies. It doesn't mean they did or did not earn it.

3003_92503
  • PaleobrutePaleobrute Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Ironrifle- nope. Ranger (11B6R MOS) Got a bunch of friends that are, have spent time handing out at JFK Center, but not SF. Now, my GRANDSON....[:p]

11B6R?

Skill level 5 is the highest enlisted skill level and applies to both E-8 (MSG/1SG) and E-9 (SGM/CSM). There is no skill level 6.

As for "R"...RANGER designation is "V". So an E-8 or E-9 Infantryman at a Ranger Battalion would have an MOS of 11B5V. If another MOS he'd be whatever that MOS was as far as three character alpha-numeric MOS identifier plus the numerical skill level identifier plus the RANGER identifier of "V". For example a SSG Supply NCO who was RANGER qualified would be 92Y3V: 92Y- Supply Specialist/3- E6-Staff Sergeant/V -RANGER Qualified.

Which battalion were assigned to when you retired?
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    About 20 years ago, I worked with a guy who told me that he got out of the AF after 10 years service because he didn't want to go to VN. Fair enough and a believable story. Fast forward to 2007 and I see him around town wearing one of those VN veterans ball caps. I challenged him on it and he mumbled that this was his way of showing support for VN vets. Pathetic.
  • Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What this old retired USMC 8-E doesn't get is "Why all the Wannabee whalepoop about what happened almost 40 years ago. I went the Corps in l960, retired in l980, and when Stateside at Armorer's school Quantico saw first hand all those rich college draft deferred kids and piss-head hippies burning draft cards, and now, years later, they see some supposed glamour in claiming to be a Vet. let alone a 'Nam Vet. I sure as hell don't know why- did they feel they missed out on something really special? Well, 58,xxx names on The Wall didn't then, I guess. My best pal from HS went Army, 82nd. Airborne at Fort Bragg, NC- I was at LeJuene at Jacksonville, NC so we would get on the payphones and talk. He made it through SF training there, and I have nothing but the highest respect for all you guys who made it through Army Rangers and Special Forces, ditto Navy SEALs and of course, USMC Recon. I was to some extent a turtle as a qualified armorer (up to the M-2 .50 MG)also because I have worn glasses ever since I was ten years old. Didn't keep me from firing a 243/250 on qual. day with the M-1 (lucky in 3 ways here: (1) I had a Winchester Garand (no. l597275) that was a "dinger" (2) we had picture perfect weather for both pre-qual and final qual day (3) our P.M.I., a big S/Sgt. from Hawaii (built like Dick Butkus, for any of the Bears fans that might be reading this) let me wear an eye patch over my left eye, so that my weaker right one could focus on the front and rear sights. So I lucked out In the USMC, high shooters usually make rank a bit quicker than the "snuffies" and forget the "non-quals". I was in the American Legion in our town one night, a few years ago- with some friends who were in the 101 and the 173 A/B units- some half drunken "wannabee" starts talking about all thejumps he had made, supposedly after TET- they told me that the only real "jumps" they made "In Country" were tailgate, you didn't parachute down (see what happened to British Lt. Champman in the movie "The Bridge On The River Quai") due to the heavy jungle foilage. They were trained to rappel and also to "fast rope" if I remember correctly- the only thing I know about Airborne operations is the saying my pal told me about the two things that fall from the sky- "Fools and Birdpoop".
    Who knows, maybe 40 years from now we'll be plagued with a new set of these numbnutz-pretenting to have served in "The Sandbox" Lock and Load..
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some good read here guys!! Do they have a name for this sickness?
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Yeah, there is a name for it,,,,,chronic liars syndrone. The one that sticks out in my mind most was a jerk that was hired on my job and placed in a supervisors position. Immediately upon his employment, the 'war stories' started. After hearing the first 'war story', I knew he was lying from the incorrect terminology he was using. I decided right then and there to keep my RVN history a secret from him, and instructed my co-workers not to let the cat out of the bag. For about the next three or four months, not a day went by without him saying "when I was in the Nam". One one occasion he was 'on patrol', ambushed by three vietcong and one sniper. Of course he dispatched all four of them and saved the whole unit, for which he was awarded the Silver Star. The odd thing was that every day the stories would switch up and he'd be in a different MOS. Well,,,,,one day I entered the lunchroom to eat and there he was telling about when he was a helicopter pilot who had been assigned the task of destroying a bunch of vietcong who were 'dug in' in the jungle. I knew then that this was the time. I was a 67N. The 'story' ended with him and his crew destroying the enemy, and then LANDING TO TAKE PRISONERS!!! NO LESS. I had to act like I had something caught in my throat and exited the room until I could regain my composure. Upon returning, I sat down and said, Let me ask you a few questions. To which he said, "SURE!" Q: You said previously that you were a sergeant in the infantry, now you say that you were a helicopter pilot. A: I asked for a transfer and got it. (Is that a fact!) Q: What kind of helicopter were you flying? A: A Huey chopper (He didn't know what a UH-1 was) Q: What model was it? A: It was a NEW one. (I nearly sprayed several of my co-workers with a mouthfull of coca-cola) Q: What did you do with the prisoners? A: We took them back to our base. Q: Where was your 'base'? A: Uhhhh, uhhhh,,,Saigon. Q: What sort of armament did your helicopter have? A: A .50 cal. Q: Where was it mounted? A: Under the nose of the chopper. (OH YEAH??) Q: No rockets? A: OH YES! We had rockets! Q: How many pods did you carry? A: Uhhhhhh, uhhhhhhh, uhhhh six I think. *This fool didn't have a clue as to what he was talking agout* Q: Did your 'chopper' have a mini-gun? A: OH YEAH,,, they all had those. I forget all the questions that I asked him and the ridiculous answers that he gave. But I enjoyed myself tremendously. It was like a cat playing with a injured chipmunk. Me and about a dozen other people in the room, including the plant superintendent. He was turning a color of white about the shade of the background on this post and sweating bullets, when he saw it necessary to excuse himself to go take a s**t. I said, "Yeah, you better, cause your full of it". He never missed a stride while headed toward the door. I told the superintendent, "You better check his job application". Knowing that he was going to avoid me now, I positioned myself in the front of the building where he would have to come by me on the way out. When he did, I said, Hey, bring that Silver Star and Bronze Star in to work with you tomorrow, I'll bring my Congressional Medal of Honor. He said that it had been lost in his move here to Georgia from Wisconcin (sp). (Laughter erupted, he was completely humiliated) I told him that he had never been within 12,000 miles of Vietnam. He turned his back and walked away. He called in sick the next week, and then it came down thru the grapevine that he had been terminated for turning in a false job application. He didn't have the papers that he said he did. Hey Ya'll I've read all these stories and there's mine,,, I know there is more,,, love to read this stuff. quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Some good read here guys!! Do they have a name for this sickness?
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a real good one Vinhlong!!

Seems like most of these scumballs are just pathological psychotic compulsive liars throughout life.[V]

There was one guy at work years ago after desert storm that said on a monday that over the weekend he was on a military flight to Iraq to assasinate Saddam. We said BS we didn't hear anything about it in the news. He replied well the plane broke down and the mission was called off. The psycopath then said if it wasn't for him repairing the plane they would have never made it back home.

Talk about laughing so hard your guts were coming out. He just turned red in the face and walked away.

Just for the record I've never been in the service. Too young for vietnam signed up for the draft oh '78-'79? when they reinstated it then the Iranian hostage crisis came and we thought we'd be drafted but no. Then I was too old for desert storm. Just one of the ones that was between conflicts.
  • twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad served and it was very rarely brought up. once in a while i run across someone who claims to have served{really bragging on it}and it makes me sick.quote:Originally posted by Hot Tuna
    When my son took history in high school the teacher asked if anyone in the room had a parent who served in VN. He was the only one who raise his hand. I'l bet there were a few kids whose parents did serve in VN and they didn't know it. Combat vets usually don't like to talk about it, even with each other.
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most real Viet Vets don't TALK. they are certainly not ashamed of their service but don't get caught up in all the TALK. they are silent until they are challenged on their service OR find one of those famous wannabees OR best of all, meet a brother they can do some quick exchange with and move on. You won't find many true VVs that do much talking, they just listen and when their BS alarm starts going off, they'll move on.

I served on a carrier, providing much needed air support to our in country troops but I've sure never tried to act like I knew what it was like in the bush, trying to survive all the emotional and physical elements of living and dying there. I've met a lot of VVs who look like hollow tombs of a human being, still suffering from all the trauma they experienced, some I believe died there, just didn't come home in a body bag. I have no less respect for those guys than I would for a CMH recipient, but maybe even more compassion for the prison they live in and have for the last nearly 40 years.
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Your right cowboy, I've known people for years before they know that I am a RVN vetran. I don't advertise it. My tour wasn't that eventful, I was only there for eight months during 1971. But I learned all I need to know about the Federal Government.quote:Originally posted by lindalecowboy
    Most real Viet Vets don't TALK. they are certainly not ashamed of their service but don't get caught up in all the TALK. they are silent until they are challenged on their service OR find one of those famous wannabees OR best of all, meet a brother they can do some quick exchange with and move on. You won't find many true VVs that do much talking, they just listen and when their BS alarm starts going off, they'll move on.

I served on a carrier, providing much needed air support to our in country troops but I've sure never tried to act like I knew what it was like in the bush, trying to survive all the emotional and physical elements of living and dying there. I've met a lot of VVs who look like hollow tombs of a human being, still suffering from all the trauma they experienced, some I believe died there, just didn't come home in a body bag. I have no less respect for those guys than I would for a CMH recipient, but maybe even more compassion for the prison they live in and have for the last nearly 40 years.