In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting a smoke cannister

benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
There was a survival instruction course on t.v. the other day. The host said he kept his gun cleaning supplies in a sealable tube (about 2.5" x 7-10")that the colored smoke "flares" were in during the Vietnam era. He carried them in his drag bag. Is he correct? Any idea where I can find a couple?

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it may be one of the hard cardboard tubes the smoke grenades came in. They are not easy to find unless you buy a smoke grenade from someone.
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in country-we carried our jointed cleaning rods
    between the handguards-no they did not rattle. Just popped them off
    and inserted. I forget where and what else we carried for cleaning.
    This was 1969-1970. My M16 had no trapdoor. Long time ago.
    Alpha Co. 1St.502nd.
    Best.
  • Dave Fisher15Dave Fisher15 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Benfishin, What you are refering to was a parachute or a star cannister flare. The came in a alum cannister. We kept them in the perimter bunker. One type was an illumnation, and another type was a red star flare that was used to signify gooks in the wire.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave Fisher15
    Benfishin, What you are refering to was a parachute or a star cannister flare. The came in a alum cannister. We kept them in the perimter bunker. One type was an illumnation, and another type was a red star flare that was used to signify gooks in the wire.

Yup, an aluminum cannister with a white label, if memory serves me.

You pulled the top cap off the tube that had the firing pin in it, placed it on the bottom of the tube and hit it hard with your hand.

Or, if you were smart hit it on a sandbag. When I was bored on permieter guard duty I would pop three at a time on sand bags and look at the pretty lights and they drifted slowly to the ground..[:D]
  • SemperTSemperT Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Marine unit had what we referred to as "pop-ups". I don't remember any labelling, however, I am sure it was an "m" something...like everything else in the USMC. I recall using them for illumination, operating just like the previous post says. Take the cap off, fit it to the bottom and slap with the open palm of your hand and you've got illumination.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SemperT
    Our Marine unit had what we referred to as "pop-ups". I don't remember any labelling, however, I am sure it was an "m" something...like everything else in the USMC. I recall using them for illumination, operating just like the previous post says. Take the cap off, fit it to the bottom and slap with the open palm of your hand and you've got illumination.

Those aluminum containers were inside a narrow 'ham can'. The key to the can (just like a canned ham) was soldered to the side. Best, Joe