In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FAKES & WANNABEES

1235»

Comments

• joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A proven fact is that 9 out of 10 that say they were there were NOT! What is up with this???? If for one would like to say I was never there. No hero, no nothing!!!!!!!
  • Nicodemus46Nicodemus46 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Boys,,, & Girls;
    I've never posted here and didn't think I would, however, this thread caught me eye. I find it ironic that the same slack jawed, spineless P's. O.S., That threw poop at us and called us named when we came home, are now claiming to have been there. What?, they got the experience through Osmosis? Bad enough, we were treated like second class citizens, now, THEY walk around bragging up a fantasy?

The VFW told me to piss off, much to my fathers embarrassment. He wanted me to join up, Dad was a bomber pilot in England during WWII. He told the post commander he wanted a card for me and was told with a straight face, "WE don't take those guys, not now, not ever". My Dad then took out his card, tore it in half and knocked the guy off his bar stool. Told he, "If you don't want him, then I don't want you".

I have and probably always will, go out of my way to avoid conversations of that time of my life. I recently told my sons about what we did, why we were there, something that seems lost on history, why we died and how we were treated. They looked at all the crap I've kept squirreled away since I got in '76. My oldest son's response was , "dad, we never knew." I said, "That's right son, It took me decades to reconcile all my demons, what purpose could it have served to burden you boys with this?" Regrets, you bet, apologies, Not a freakin chance.

To all the fakes, posers, wannbe's, and never was' out there. Nothing could have prepared us for what we would see and do, Nothing can take this away, yet, you walk around spouting poop about what you have no idea. You claim things you never have done. You cheapen the sacrifice of the real men and women who put all on the line and the many who paid the ultimate price. Sleep tight in your fakatude, because when it hits the fan, we know where you will be, hiding behind an excuse like you did then, praying for the real warriors to step up and save your worthless *. I promise you, it won't be me to save you, you will be left to your own devises. Perhaps, you can talk the enemy to death or submission with your false greatness, but, I doubt it. I have more respect for Mr. Victor Charles than you lot, at least Mr. V.C. stood for something. You?
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nicodemos 46. Please name the city and state where you were refused membership in the V.F.W. Thanks, Ed
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Guys-I needed to dump this somewhere and get some knowledgeable feedback.

I met this guy at the range a while back and it came up in our brief discussion of range rules and procedures that I was a veteran. Pretty quick I'm listening to him go on about his RVN service, where he was in The Air Force as a dog handler, and "they needed some dog handlers" down in the Delta (The Army) and he and some other dude volunteered cause they were young and wanted go where the action was. He mentioned the name of the place, but I don't remember the name-hadn't heard it before to my recolection, and I was in the northern Delta myself, but that's a lot of territory with a bunch of itty bitty villes. Anyway, all of this was feasable, I guess, but as the story went on there was a lot of "slautering gooks" by the hundreds with mini guns mounted on jeeps (?) This guy is also supposed to be a retired LEO from Boston PD. He seems to have a problem with folks phisically larger than himself, which is almost everyone, and I am wondering if this an embelishment, or just plain fiction. I would really welcome your insights. I don't like to dismiss anyone out of hand, because they might actually be a veteran and just need some help. Has anyone ever heard of mini guns on jeeps? I did roving patrol in a gun jeep, and we were around MP outfits that had all kinds of stuff-V-100's, and jeeps with all kinds of stuff in them, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about mini guns. Thanks, Flapjack.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like someone is playing fast and loose with the truth.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Fakes always talk too much, especially on first meeting them. I think they are pretty easy to spot. If they're bragging about their exploits, they are fakes.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flapjack

I met this guy at the range a while back and it came up in our brief discussion of range rules and procedures that I was a veteran. Pretty quick I'm listening to him go on about his RVN service, where he was in The Air Force as a dog handler, and "they needed some dog handlers" down in the Delta (The Army) and he and some other dude volunteered cause they were young and wanted go where the action was. He mentioned the name of the place, but I don't remember the name-hadn't heard it before to my recolection, and I was in the northern Delta myself, but that's a lot of territory with a bunch of itty bitty villes. Anyway, all of this was feasable, I guess, but as the story went on there was a lot of "slautering gooks" by the hundreds with mini guns mounted on jeeps (?) This guy is also supposed to be a retired LEO from Boston PD. He seems to have a problem with folks phisically larger than himself, which is almost everyone, and I am wondering if this an embelishment, or just plain fiction. I would really welcome your insights. I don't like to dismiss anyone out of hand, because they might actually be a veteran and just need some help. Has anyone ever heard of mini guns on jeeps? I did roving patrol in a gun jeep, and we were around MP outfits that had all kinds of stuff-V-100's, and jeeps with all kinds of stuff in them, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about mini guns. Thanks, Flapjack.

We just had M-60s mounted on jeeps. I never saw a mini-gun on anything but HU-1s.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I was there 68-69 and never saw a mini gun on a jeep. Just sayin'.
    W.D.
  • bobbyjimbobbyjim Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b40e5
    This is my first time on this site. Didn't know that there were that many heoric vietnam vets out there. To me the heros are the ones that lost their lives. I still feel like I shouldn't have the right to have made it out when all the heros died. I served in nam in 1970 and 1971. I was with Americal Division 196th LIB 1st/46th. Chu Lai was my rear area which I rarely visited. Most of my time was spent in the jungle around LZ Professional and LZ MaryAnn. Mabye I'll run across some of you guys that served during that time in the same division. Fixing to turn 60 in July and still think about Nam everyday. Like I said the real heros died there.
  • bobbyjimbobbyjim Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b40e5
    This is my first time on this site. Didn't know that there were that many heoric vietnam vets out there. To me the heros are the ones that lost their lives. I still feel like I shouldn't have the right to have made it out when all the heros died. I served in nam in 1970 and 1971. I was with Americal Division 196th LIB 1st/46th. Chu Lai was my rear area which I rarely visited. Most of my time was spent in the jungle around LZ Professional and LZ MaryAnn. Mabye I'll run across some of you guys that served during that time in the same division. Fixing to turn 60 in July and still think about Nam everyday. Like I said the real heros died there.
    I was with the B trp. 1/1 Cav Americal, from '69-'70. We worked with the 196th LIB all the time. Que Son Valley, Tam Ky, Duc Pho, Rice Bowl, Mai Lai etc. Got lots of photos of you guys and even was on a track (ACAV) with 3 of the 196th guys that ran over mine. When I left in '70 our rear area was LZ Hawk Hill but when I first got there it was Chu Lai. Will soon be 65.

As far as impostors go what's everyone think about the guys that run around at the POW/MIA meets and other events? They all seem to look the same, pot bellys, bald with pony tails, black leather vests with all kinds of pins attached and telling war stories. What's up with this?
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    A proven fact is that 9 out of 10 that say they were there were NOT! What is up with this???? If for one would like to say I was never there. No hero, no nothing!!!!!!!

I thank each one of you for your service .
    I was not there .
    Had a 4-f rating and was disqualified.
    After reading this thread ,I was reminded of something I heard Dutch Van Kirk say.
    He was the navigator on the Enola Gay .
    He stated that there was not enough bombers in the Pacific to carry the people that claimed to be on the Hiroshima mission .
    Seems to be an eternal problem .
    God bless you all .
  • Redleg29Redleg29 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flapjack

Mini-guns were usually "liberated" from downed gunships and placed on Gun Trucks-5 ton by 8th Tranportation.
    M60s were installed on Jeeps/ Mutts-1/4 ton and 3/4 ton vehicles. M2's could be seen on 2-1/2 & 5 ton vechiles.
    Supply trucks of any size employed as Gun Trucks or security vehicles carried a large amount of ammunition. Therefore, it would not be practible to mount a mini-gun on a small vehicle.
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who responded re the mini's on jeeps. All of the comments confirm my thoughts. One of the early tells, to me anyway, was that every other word out of this guys mouth was "GOOK." Now, if someone wants to refer to our enemy like that, that's their perogative, but a lot of us have had a chance to consider what we would have done, had the shoe been on the other foot. My job put me in close contact with all kinds of Viet Namese, and despite the Army's efforts to "condition" me to view them as sub-human, after a while their humaness got through and touched me. And then the cavalier way he waved his hand when he described "slautering gooks by the hundreds" is another thing that puts my antenae up a little higher. I know guys that survived human waves, and they don't talk about it, especially to someone that just walked up to them a minute ago. The rest of his story was just too off the wall, and as someone mentioned, the logistics of having a mini on a jeep are pretty far fetched. What kind of power source do those things require? You sure don't hand crank them bad boys! The only time I ever saw one was from the ground-in the sky-at night! Do you ever wonder what happens when two of these misguided clowns run into each other? I guess there ain't a fertilizer spreader that could hold a candle to them. I think that when it is clearly a lie, like the age issue the gentlman mentioned about the 54 yr old with the tats, that we do these folks a service in helping them break out of the cage they have built themselves into, especially if the individual is indeed a vet that has embelished himself into a trap, some of these end up harming themselves when they can't face themselves in the mirror anymore. "He is an ever present help in time of need." Flapjack
  • DEFCONDEFCON Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Met a Marine Korean Vet few years ago and he said he was a Brig Guard transported prisoners, etc. Asked him his MOS and Serial Number -- 60 years later he still knew them. If a person doesn't know his MOS, Serial number or what a DD-214 is, I'd be looking them in the eye watching them blink.

Met a guy couple years ago on a beach, said he was Army Special Forces, Recon, some place in Nam I'd never heard of, showed me his war wound 1' scar vertically across his chest. He ran on about special ops, fighting the Vietcong, and I asked him his MOS. He stalled and said yeah yeah then more story about killing the enemy. I said look, if you don't know your MOS, it would be in your DD-214. You do know what that is, don't you? He went blank and knew he'd been clocked. Not a word.

I just walked away.
  • kvtcomdokvtcomdo Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    !st post, was a Vietnam era vet having been drafted in 1972 (last of the draftee's). Helped care for former POW's at Valleyforge General Hospital in Pheonixville Pa before it closed in 1974.
    Served for just under 8 years 1972-80 in the US Army but never went overseas and my hat's off and I salute all who served in that bloody conflict.

Thank you this Memorial day for the service of all veterans; those who gave thier full measure and those who servived to tell about it.

I have been saying to my family for years now that if everyone I meet really did serve in Nam we would have easily won with numbers alone.
  • kvtcomdokvtcomdo Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soory, can't spell: that's survived. OOPS.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Flapjack: I've seen photos of miniguns on APCs, but a jeep would be impractical. Would need two trailers to carry the ammo.

This whole issue of posers kinda shows that Time has changed things. I suppose there's a certain romance (for lack of a better word) attached to having endured a certain experience. We reach an advanced age, and focus more on what we didn't do, instead of what we did do. Perhaps some men who were young at the time, and who followed the popular thinking to avoid military service, now regret it somewhat. I suspect other wars (Civil War, WWI, WWII) experienced the same phenonemon 20, 30, and 40 years afterward, but the Vietnam era was extra wierd I suppose there's a Hemingwayesque panache to having survived something so gruelling that sounds good in a pickup bar. Then it gets out of hand.

But some of these posers have really gone over the top. Buying themselves medals, dress blues, and the like. Going on speaking tours. Amazing.