In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Viet Nam 1969 - 1970

41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
edited March 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Enlisted in the Army at age 17 right out of high school. Took my training and then was sent to Europe for awhile, while there I volunteered for a tour of duty in Nam. I was young and wanted to see what it was all about. I was an advisor working with the Australians, South Koreans, and South Vietnamese in light weapons (50cal and down) repair. Uncle Sam was kind enough to extend my tour of duty for an additional 54 days after I was suppose to be discharged from the Army claiming I had a critical MOS and couldn't leave until a replacement came in. Then I got home to my home state and still wasn't quite 21 so I couldn't legally drink a beer. But could go to war. What really fired me up was about 2 1/2 months after I was discharged the draft board sent me a please report to for induction into the armed forces notice. I wasn't long firing back a letter saying I would not be there and they had best recheck their records. Got a phone call about 3 days later asking what I ment and she reclassified me.

Comments

• Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    41 nut: Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there in 69-70.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    long bin, aug. 70/mar.72 cc&s co. (collection, classification, & salvage)
  • Options
    threescrewthreescrew Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also joined in early 1970 at 17 years old. This was really a rude awaking for me. I had people over there who hated me and people at home who were worse. I wanted to feel the pride of standing up for my country, as my brothers, uncles ,cousins, in other words my whole family had fought for. Perhaps I was to young to understand the political aspect of it all! Now my son is leaving in May as he has enlisted. God help he does not feel the rejection and the disgrace we were labled with! Roy Slover, United States Army
  • Options
    196 lib196 lib Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear Ya...you had to experience it to know the feelin'..that's why i go out off my way to welcome the troops home now.Never Again.