In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I hope this will be......

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
I hope this will be a place to share ideas about the Viet Nam war and a place to unite with fellow soldiers of all branches of service who served. I also hope there are questions for those who know nothing or little about this conflict, and I hope the family of those who served will also participate.

There are many things we will carry to our graves, but there are also many things we should share with each other and even those who didn't serve or don't know what it was like.

Comments

• Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it (this forumn) is and (will be) a good thing and a good choice you are as moderator. [:)]

Bill
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    I was just a kid during Nam but am fascinated by this conflict.
    I've read a lot of books, watched plenty of documentaries, spoken to many Nam vets. I'd like to learn more about this event in history. Hopefully, the vets on this forum will share their experiences in theater and also what it was like upon their return home. How going to war changed their lives. Does the war ever leave you?

I understand that a lot of Nam vets don't like to talk about their past, but I believe that the younger generations need to know the sacrifice that you veterans made. I hope, like dheffley posted, this forum becomes a source of knowledge for us. Thanks.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    fuzzybear,

I'm not trying to sugarcoat your experience, but there's a more than reasonable chance that the "boy" you killed was just as much an adult as you were at the time. I've seen a lot of Far East Asians that looked like awkward kids only to find out they were in their twenties and even thirties.

I'm not saying that's the case, but I do hope you don't let it beat you up. Regardless, you were put in a position where you had but two options - live or die. And in the end you made the right choice.
  • Options
    almanacalmanac Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Great friend that just past away who was there. I'm to young. He had Bronze star, Purple Heart - 2 tours. Girlfriend of 10 years told me this, he never really talked about it, only to say he was young, dumb, and did what he was told. We shot the hell out of quail in So. N.Mex. and geese in No. N. Mex. for several years. One HELL of a guy, would give the shirt off his back if you needed it. Died in his sleep. And now when I shoot the scattergun, its all smiles, God did that man like to shoot trap.